Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

1st day in Brunei

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:13 am

Brunei was a disappointment for me- it was dirty and there were almost no sidewalks and no parks.
The first herptile there was a dead Duttaphrynus melanostictus in urban area, found by a road.
When returning from Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque I spotted a pair of Polypedates leucomystax in amplexus in a road.
ImagePolypedates leucomystax

I found them there but at night.
Imagehabitat of Polypedates leucomystax

Later I found a Crab Eating Frog in a place you can see below. It was in water.
Image[url=https://flic.kr/p/2bfyvgN]
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

2nd day in Brunei

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:52 pm

I wanted to see crocs very much and my family wanted to see Proboscis Monkeys so we took a tour by boat along river, mangroves and Kampong Ayer.
We managed to find Proboscis Monkeys, birds, Asian water monitor.
ImageVaranus salvator macromaculatus

After that we visited Royal Regalia Museum. When we were returning I spotted young Asian water monitor in a habitat you see below, it was in water.
Imagehabitat of Varanus salvator macromaculatus

At night we went to a market and I inspected bushess nearby and found: Polypedates leucomystax, sleeping birds, Hemidactylus frenatus, Fejervarya limnocharis, Pulchrana glandulosa, Hylarana erythraea, so nothing special unfortunately.
ImagePulchrana glandulosa

ImageHylarana erythraea

ImageHylarana erythraea
Michal Szkudlarek

Singapore again

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:49 pm

When going back to Germany and then to Poland we had a stop over in Singapore.
I was appointed with Law Ing Sind to swap books back- I borrowed from him a book about frogs of Borneo and he borrowed a book about European herpetofauna from me, ~2 weeks before. So we met and did a bit of herping in the botanical garden. First we saw some otters (some of them were vocalizing and running among people) in a pond which was also home to Trachemys scripta elegans.

Then Ing Sind showed me a pond with invasive Günther's frog and we spotted some specimens, even a vocalizing male. There was also juvenile American bullfrog- invasive as well.
ImageHylarana guentheri, male

ImageHylarana guentheri, male

ImageLithobates catesbeianus, juvenile

Over a nearby pond there was a foam nest of Polypedates leucomystax

At that pond there were Hylarana guentheri frogs vocalizing as well but they were using man-made stuff to amplify their calling. Later I tried to find Varanus nebulosus but to no avail. Instead I found many invasive turtles with native turtle species.

ImageTrachemys scripta

ImageCuora amboinensis kamaroma

ImageTrachemys scripta elegans and Cuora amboinensis kamaroma

ImageTrachemys scripta elegans

These black spots in water are turtles.
ImageThen there was a stream entering the pond and by that stream there was a dead fish and a monitor lizard which was eating it.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/PJY5Qu]Image
Varanus salvator macromaculatus

ImageVaranus salvator macromaculatus
Michal Szkudlarek

Previous

Return to Herping in the rest of the world