Israel, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran, Turkey, Cyprus

Stellagama stellio?

Postby Ilias Strachinis » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:47 pm

Ilias Strachinis

Hometown: Thessaloniki

Re: Stellagma stellio?

Postby Mario Schweiger » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:36 pm

Never heared it before - but here is the paper:
Baig, K.J., P, Wagner, N.B. Ananjeva & W. Böhme (2012)

Also the second "European" species is within a new genus: Paralaudakia caucasia

Abstract:
The former genus Stellio has already been partitioned into Laudakia Gray, 1845 and Acanthocercus Fitzinger, 1849 on the basis of several pieces of evidence. The main objective of this study is to revise Laudakia which recently includes 20 species:
L. agrorensis, L. badakshana, L. bochariensis, L. caucasia, L. dayana, L. erythrogaster, L. fusca, L. himalayana, L. lehman­ni, L. melanura, L. microlepis, L. nupta, L. nuristanica, L. pakistanica, L. papenfussi, L. sacra, L. stellio, L. stoliczkana, L. tuberculata, and L. wui. More than 600 specimens have been studied with reference to 54 morphological characters which resulted in a detailed descriptive account for each taxon. Agama isozona is recognized as a synonym of L. bochariensis. The latter species itself has been placed in a supraspecific complex consisting of L. himalayana, L. badakshana and L. bochariensis. Laudakia caucasia which has ben lowered and raised several times since its appearance is again identified as a monotypic species by placing L. caucasia triannulata as synonym under L. microlepis. Laudakia fusca was described as a variety of L. nupta but subsequent herpetologists synonymized it or recognized it as full species. According to this study L. fusca should be recognized again as subspecies of L. nupta pending more detailed further research. Moreover, several previous works have indicated that Laudakia is paraphyletic and therefore two new genera are described herein encompassing the stellio- and caucasia-groups.

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Matt Wilson » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:53 pm

Well, I don't like THAT name! Euh!
Matt Wilson

Hometown: Manchester

Re: Stellagama stellio?

Postby Mario Schweiger » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:13 pm

By the way: It is written wrong on the IUCN Red List page: correct is Stellagama, and not Stellagma!
I have changed it here in the topic headline ;)

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:03 pm

Yes, there's that thing.....

If you read the general introduction, at the end, it's stated that Macey et al. (2000) show paraphyly of the genus, whereas Edwards & Melville (2011) found monophyly. What follows is "In all these different studies the same groups are supported, but there is evidence of a paraphyly of the genus. Therefore, we decided to classify the different species groups in distinct genera."
???
Where's that evidence of paraphyly in E&M? Maybe I'm totally wrong, but this puzzles me. Besides that, I verrry nice study, of course! Love the dedicated morpho stuff.

(( Nomenclature : It was hinted to me Stellio was unfortunately discarded as nomen dubium, and that it would take little work to make it the valid nomen for one of the new genera))
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Mario Schweiger » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:45 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Yes, there's that thing.....

If you read the general introduction, at the end, it's stated that Macey et al. (2000) show paraphyly of the genus, whereas Edwards & Melville (2011) found monophyly. What follows is "In all these different studies the same groups are supported, but there is evidence of a paraphyly of the genus. Therefore, we decided to classify the different species groups in distinct genera."
???
Where's that evidence of paraphyly in E&M? Maybe I'm totally wrong, but this puzzles me. Besides that, I verrry nice study, of course! Love the dedicated morpho stuff.

(( Nomenclature : It was hinted to me Stellio was unfortunately discarded as nomen dubium, and that it would take little work to make it the valid nomen for one of the new genera))

I dont have one of these papers:
Macey, R.J. et al. (2000a): Evaluating Trans-Tethis Migration: An Example Using Acrodont Lizard. – Systematic Biology, 49: 233 – 256.

Macey, J.R. et al. (2000b): Testing hypotheses for vicariant separation in the agamid lizard Laudakia cauca­sia from mountain ranges of the Northern Iranian plateau. – Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 14(3): 479 – 483.

Edwards, L.E. & Melville, E. (2011): Extensive phylogeographic and morphological diversity in Diporiphora nobbi (Agamidae) leads to a taxonomic review and a new species description – Journal of Herpetology 45: 530 – 546.

Reading Henle (1995), the Genus name Stellio might be really not available.

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:14 pm

Mario Schweiger wrote:I dont have one of these papers:

I will try to grab them, Mario, but their tree is in the new paper, so it's probably pretty obvious.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Ilias Strachinis » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:20 pm

the authors of the paper are quite "strong", aren't they ;)
Ilias Strachinis

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:58 pm

Ilias Strachinis wrote:the authors of the paper are quite "strong", aren't they ;)

You mean authoritive?
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Ilias Strachinis » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:08 pm

yes
Ilias Strachinis

Next

Return to Near and Middle East