Cyprus: Macrovipera lebetina vs. Egretta garzetta

Israel, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran, Turkey, Cyprus

Re: Cyprus: Macrovipera lebetina vs. Egretta garzetta

Postby Aleksandar Simovic » Tue May 24, 2016 7:02 pm

Saw this video few days ago on Facebook, really interesting!

Ilian Velikov wrote:I wonder if that bite was lethal?

For sure! You can see in the end of video in how condition is erget.
Aleksandar Simovic

Hometown: Belgrade

Postby Ilian Velikov » Tue May 24, 2016 8:57 pm

Aleksandar Simovic wrote:For sure! You can see in the end of video in how condition is erget.

I would think it was lethal as well, but the condition of the egret at the end of the video doesn't say much. could be just exhausted from the fight.
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue May 24, 2016 9:24 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote:Why are you so sure? I'm not saying you're wrong I just want to know why you think so. There was
a lot of thrashing and throwing around and snake fangs/teeth are not too hard to dislodge.

Too much blood, all of the sudden, not washed out by water, that's the only "reason", nothing more
than that. I'm far from sure, of course.

I would think it was lethal as well, but the condition of the egret at the end of the video doesn't
say much. could be just exhausted from the fight.

Well, a bite of a V. lebetina should kill anything of that size within a minute, that's the whole idea...
(A bite by V. ammodytes kills a small rodent (like a mouse) or a small bird within a minute. So what
was going on there?
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Ilian Velikov » Wed May 25, 2016 12:17 am

Well, a bite of a V. lebetina should kill anything of that size within a minute, that's the whole idea...
(A bite by V. ammodytes kills a small rodent (like a mouse) or a small bird within a minute. So what
was going on there?

Exactly! That's why I asked the question. It's strange that I should even ask...The whole situation is out of the ordinary.
Ilian Velikov

Postby Ilian Velikov » Wed May 25, 2016 10:48 am

The more I look at the video the more I think that the snake actually did only bite the feathers and not the flesh of the wing, and that the blood at the end was from the snake not the egret. That's the only explanation as to why that egret was not dead. The snake was obviously hunting (holding on as opposed to strike and retreat, which venomous snakes would do when hunting flying prey, and trying to pull the egret on dry land) so there's no chance it was a dry defensive bite.
Ilian Velikov

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Wed May 25, 2016 6:08 pm

Well, Ilian, all having been said, let the two of us just drop the subject... If anyone else has any
better idea, meaning a new contribution, revealing something, let him/her have their say.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Previous

Return to Near and Middle East