Israel - 21st of April to 25th of April 2016

Israel, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran, Turkey, Cyprus

Re: Israel - 21st of April to 25th of April 2016

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:03 am

On the topic, from today:

http://www.terrestrialecosystems.com/ar ... -our-laws/

This year I also read on a forum the story of a guy at the Everglades NP who removed a snake from the main road to bring the animal just next to it (for those who have been there, you know how many DOR animals can be seen every single day/night). This guy received a several hundreds $ fine... Again, it´s good to have some laws and rangers to make them effective, but in this context the relevancy of the law is quite questionable. As a matter of fact, it would have been allowed to frighten the snake (without touching it!). I guess equally OK would have been to crash it with a car, at least I never saw anybody being fined for such an action... :x
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Postby Bastien Comment » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:20 pm

Hey guys!

Thank you all for your feedbacks. Interesting how this post led to a big discussion about legality of herps handling. Like all of you, I have no problems and even appreciate that our crawling friends are protected but I find it too much when it comes to giving fines to reptiles enthusiasts like us. Poaching should be severely punished and for this, controls are obviously needed but in my opinion, rangers and guards or so should have the possibility to make a distinction and show flexibility. Without going as far as Israel, it had happened to me in the past in Switzerland. I was herping with Yannick and my father and the wildlife guard from the area was waiting for us with two police officers blocking our car. And trust me, they didn't calm down even after my father tried to make some jokes (they were keeping their hands on their guns all the time which really surprised us a lot for Switzerland). And I also know that the guards in Geneva are very active and stricts.

Anyway, herping is like breathing for me (and I guess for if not all, at least most of you) and I've been catching snakes since I was 6 years old (and I'm 34 now) so it's not tomorrow that I'll stop. Nowadays, I try to do more and more in-situ (usually, I must agree that the best pictures are in-situ) but the contact with snakes is something I need and although I can make exceptions, I'll prefer to get more fines rather than completely stopping this activity.

Cheers guys, have a nice summer and see you soon! ;)
Bastien Comment

Hometown: Lausanne

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:35 pm

Bastien Comment wrote: Poaching should be severely punished and for this, controls are obviously needed but in my opinion,
rangers and guards or so should have the possibility to make a distinction and show flexibility.
... but the contact with snakes is something I need and although I can make exceptions, I'll prefer
to get more fines rather than completely stopping this activity.

YES, that's it. Nothing to add.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Aviad Bar » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:19 pm

It was fun to herp with you guys.
Following reptile's tracks at the dunes is always fascinating.
Aviad Bar

Hometown: Beer Sheva

Previous

Return to Near and Middle East