Israel spring 2017 - tripreport online!

Israel, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran, Turkey, Cyprus

Re: Israel spring 2017 - seeing a living fossil in the wild

Postby Bobby Bok » Sun May 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Thanks both!

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:btw i did not know that ostriches are native to Israel

There used to be an endemic subspecies which is extinct nowadays. In the reserve we visited, they have the African subspecies and its part of an experiment to reintroduce ostriches back in the wild in the Middle East. These ostriches are part of that and live semi wild in the reserve.
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Re: Israel spring 2017 - tripreport online!

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Sun May 21, 2017 1:14 pm

I`m impressed. Very successful Trip, Congrats on you both!!!
Great pics and some nice action on the video`s! ;)
The Eilat-Echis is a beauty!!!
How was it to work with my great love?
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Sun May 21, 2017 7:50 pm

First of all, congrats on an obviously great trip, and thanks for a great report with ditto pictures (as usual).

A couple of questions / remarks...

What's the story behind the "thanks to Aviad" Daboia & Pseudocerastes?

How well did you do flippin? Based on my previous experience in Israel at this time of year I didn't expect to flip much last weekend. Nonetheless I was quite disappointed to flip only one toad and one Hemidactylus in three days!

I'm wondering whether we went to the same holes and met the same Malpolon. It was curled up in the corner when we got to the hole and I wasn't even aware I needed to watch out it could escape through the bottom. When I checked it again after checking the other holes along the road it was coming out again and quickly withdrew when it spotted me leaning in.

If I do go back, I might need some tips for some of the common species I keep missing - Dolichophis, Tropiocolotes, olivieri...

PS: Even though you're completely upstaging me I think I will end up doing an Israel report after all - once I've gotten around to finishing another one...
Kristian Munkholm

Hometown: Copenhagen

Postby Bobby Bok » Mon May 22, 2017 8:24 am

Thanks guys!

Jürgen Gebhart wrote:Great pics and some nice action on the video`s! ;)

Except the Latonia video :lol:

Jürgen Gebhart wrote:How was it to work with my great love?

Scary as fuck! But also very addictive, already planning to be back next year again...

Kristian Munkholm wrote:How well did you do flippin? Based on my previous experience in Israel at this time of year I didn't expect to flip much last weekend. Nonetheless I was quite disappointed to flip only one toad and one Hemidactylus in three days!

I'm wondering whether we went to the same holes and met the same Malpolon. It was curled up in the corner when we got to the hole and I wasn't even aware I needed to watch out it could escape through the bottom. When I checked it again after checking the other holes along the road it was coming out again and quickly withdrew when it spotted me leaning in.

If I do go back, I might need some tips for some of the common species I keep missing - Dolichophis, Tropiocolotes, olivieri...

PS: Even though you're completely upstaging me I think I will end up doing an Israel report after all - once I've gotten around to finishing another one...

Flipping was generally not so succesful although we did find a few interesting species by flipping, most notably around Eilat (Tropiocolotes) and on Hermon (Rhynchocalamus, Eirenis, Mediodactylus, Lacerta, Dolichophis). Flipping in the mediterranean habitats (coastal dunes, Gilboa) generally required a lot of flipping before finding something.

As for the Malpolon, that might even be, sound like a very similar scenario...

Looking forward to your report(s)!
Bobby Bok

Postby Niklas Ban » Mon May 22, 2017 9:35 am

What a hardcore list! Thanks for sharing, the images are just a pleasure. :)
Niklas Ban

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Ilian Velikov » Mon May 22, 2017 10:38 am

Very impressive. Great job!
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Thomas Reich » Mon May 22, 2017 12:19 pm

Unbelievable! Is it really possible to find such a huge array of species in this short period of time? Great observations, wonderful pictures of animals and landscapes as well as some entertaining short stories. I like this kind of trip reports (apart from the fact that they make me completely jealous). 8-)
Thomas Reich

Hometown: Switzerland

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Mon May 22, 2017 3:45 pm

apart from the fact that they make me completely jealous

same here :oops:
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon May 22, 2017 7:23 pm

This has to be one of the best Israel herp trips.....? Outstanding species collection, although I obviously miss an adult fire mander, but that's just my madness. Viper-wise absolutely exquisite!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Bobby Bok » Tue May 23, 2017 8:24 pm

Thanks a lot you guys!

Thomas Reich wrote:Unbelievable! Is it really possible to find such a huge array of species in this short period of time?

It is insane how many species live in this tiny country, really amazing! We could have easily ticked the 70 species I think if we made more of an effort for some common species such as Trapelus pallidus and Bunopus tuberculatus.

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Outstanding species collection, although I obviously miss an adult fire mander, but that's just my madness.

Yeah, there were two people on this trip who also desperately wanted to see one and tried hard ;) But just too late in the season and a good reason for a return visit in early spring....
Bobby Bok

PreviousNext

Return to Near and Middle East