venemous in Ein Gedi, Israel

Israel, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran, Turkey, Cyprus

venemous in Ein Gedi, Israel

Postby Daniel Thie » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:26 am

Hello,

I am new to this forum - my name's Daniel. I moved to Ein Gedi, Israel, few months ago.
Attached, there should be pictures to be seen: one Echis was found while we were walking a neighbor's dog, another one was found that same evening right on the street. I caught both to release them a few meters away, safer for them (street) and safer for the people (the one in the Kibbutz was found just few meters away from houses).

Oh, and that scorpion - well, he did not like it when we cleaned the floor of our apartment few weeks ago: he ran around hysterically in the kitchen when his (unknown) place under the fridge got flooded. We kept him for another few days - and he proved to be useful since he ate that small yet potentially dangerous spider that we found in our appt during those days. We were not sure, but could have been Loxocelses.
I love snakes, but I am arachnophobic (scorpions are ok, tho).

Anyway, if you planned to come to the Dead Sea Valley or elsewhere in IL, we might catch up. Did not find too much interesting stuff yet, but I am working on it.
I speak English, German, Spanish, some French and I am learning עברית.

Cheers, Dan
Attachments
feelingBLUE.jpg
Leiurus quinquestriatus under UV lamp
Leiurus quinquestriatus.jpg
Echis.jpg
Echis.jpg
found on (and saved from) the street leading up to the Kibbutz
Echis.jpg (92.28 KiB) Viewed 4295 times
Daniel Thie

Re: venemous in Ein Gedi, Israel

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:45 pm

Hi Daniel and welcome to this forum,

You are lucky to stay in Ein Gedi, it´s the Echis paradise! http://www.bgu.ac.il/life/Faculty/Bousk ... 202004.pdf

I was in Israel two times and it´s cool:

1 week in may 2010 http://www.flickr.com/photos/gabrimtnez ... 1774/show/
1 week in april 2011 http://www.flickr.com/photos/gabrimtnez ... 9646/show/

There I have some friends who are proffesional snake catchers (one of them, Aviad, sometimes use this forum).

I hope that you upload to this forum many Israel pictures of snakes!!!!!! And thanks to help the snakes and release them far away of people ;)

Gabri
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:12 pm

Welcome Dan!!

You can be sure that I will meet someday there!!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Daniel Thie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:17 am

thx for the friendly welcome!!

and thx for the foto-links. I have been browsing the forum a little bit before registering and I think I have even found Gabri's fotostream on flickr - impressive!! And Juergen's pix are impressive, too! I have to say that I am a bit jealous^^ - coz I did not find too much yet. But I will keep my eyes open and if I'll even manage to get hold of a pic of a finding, I'll sure post it here!! (wish me luck, looks like later today I'll be in the Jerusalem mountains...).

Have a great weekend everybody!

Dan
Daniel Thie

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:54 am

Thanks for your comments about my photos Daniel!

Close to Ein Gedi I think you can find many snake species so I´m impatient to see your future photos in the forum!!! ;)
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Return to Near and Middle East