New Italian Vipera

That´s the place to discuss on sytematics, distribution, etc.

Re: New Italian Vipera

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:05 pm

Ruggero Morimando wrote: ... having spoken with the hunters, they told me that the marassi (= V.berus) are actually present". I don't know
what to think about this.

Having spoken with the shepherds and hunters on the island of Krk, they told me that "riđovka" (= adder, V. berus)
is quite common there, even more common than V. ammodytes... Of course it is, since their "adder" comprises at
least three species: T. fallax, juvenile E. quatuorlineata, and (please, don't faint!) Z. situla (the "red adder"!!!).
The problem here is the photo from Ferrara - obviously not a "biacco", and almost certainly a "marasso". What to
do with THAT? It's nobody's tale or tell-tale, it's a photo of a viper.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Ilian Velikov » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:11 pm

I agree with Berislav that the locals can't be trusted with that sort of information.

Berislav Horvatic wrote:The problem here is the photo from Ferrara - obviously not a "biacco", and almost certainly a "marasso". What to
do with THAT? It's nobody's tale or tell-tale, it's a photo of a viper.

But who knows if it's actually from the place it says it is? There's not even a bit of landscape visible on it.
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Ruggero M. » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:13 pm

I'm writing with the smartphone so I will be short.
When I wrote I don't know what to think I meant this about the guy who posted the picture: not about the hunters!
The question that the guy makes is suspicious, not the picture itself (it's a 'berus-like' viper, sure, I know this).
Edo is doubtful because of the stones where the animal lies; for me it's unimportant, but the whole history and the type of question of that guy make me think of a possible troll.
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Ilian Velikov » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:14 pm

BTW, I just found this:

http://www.herpfolio.net/vipera-walser/

The authors of the paper in action and interesting to see (especially when the colouration of walser was also discussed) that there are also melanic walser.
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Previous

Return to Theoretical Section