function of fire salamander colouration

That´s the place to discuss on sytematics, distribution, etc.

Re: function of fire salamander colouration

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:30 am

Ruggero Morimando wrote:I hope someone else will help me... :lol:
But not everything has something to do with mimetism in genetic evolution: sexual selection plays surely a role too, as well, I suppose, random events in Dna molecules and "simmetry" of living organisms... "Why a middle dorsal line?" could have the same meaning as the question "why tails grow always in the center of the dorsal spine?" I turn the question to other forumers with an elegant "I don't know!" :lol:

dorsal line can be indeed a by-product, not an adaptation. it can play role in sexual selection since dorsal line is present in females (and juveniles) only but i do not think that males perceive dorsal line of a famale
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:29 pm

Ruggero Morimando wrote: I hope someone else will help me... :lol:

So, folks, do help him, if you know how.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:29 pm

Black+yellow are common 'leave me alone' warning colours in the animal kingdom. It doesn't always hold a 'logical' link with the actual level of being poisonous in species, which is comparable in S. atra and S. salamandra, while their colours are not. You could hypothesise that atra has less predators to worry about...? The pigmentation is in any case rather 'switch on/off', as lanzai and atra are not sister species and neither are corsica and salamandra.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Previous

Return to Theoretical Section