MOROCCO TRIP. August 2012

Morocco, Algeria, Tunesia, Libya, Egypt, Sinai

MOROCCO TRIP. August 2012

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:40 am

Although is traumatic to upload a trip just after Jeroen, I want to show you some photos of the last trip to Morocco. Definitively august is one of the worst months to visit Morocco, and if you want to visit this country please visit it in april-may-first weeks of june or sept-october. After 4 trips in august there, I can say definitively than august is a nighmare...

My partner trip report for moroccoherps.com: http://blog.moroccoherps.com/agosto-201 ... marruecos/

PD: About taxonomic questions, doubts, corrections or anything please send me an email to gabrimtnez@gmail.com or comment in the forum, I love to discuss about Moroccan herpetofauna
PD2: My personal gallery of the trip: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gabrimtnez ... 6686/show/

Tarentola annularis.jpg
Tarentola annularis.jpg (235.29 KiB) Viewed 14960 times

Daboia.jpg
Daboia.jpg (286.13 KiB) Viewed 14969 times

Eumeces.jpg
Eumeces.jpg (273.46 KiB) Viewed 14968 times

Boaedon.jpg
Boaedon.jpg (127.44 KiB) Viewed 14960 times

Cerastes mutila.jpg
Cerastes mutila.jpg (227.04 KiB) Viewed 14963 times
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Re: MOROCCO TRIP. August 2012

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:01 pm

Salut Gabri,

I would like to have nightmare like this very often ;) More seriously, you encountered a great variety of herptiles, so why do you call it a "nightmare"? Was it really too hot? Is it common to observe L.fuliginosus in this area? When do you plan your next trip?

Thanks for sharing,

Guillaume.
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Postby Paul Lambourne » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:26 pm

Gabri,

Can you and Jeroen stop with the trip reports, your killing me.. I am sooo poor at the moment I am surviving on sweets I find stuck to the bottom of my shoes :D

Stunning finds, your mutila is mint ( cant understand why no longer considered a sub species,if uniformly hornless across a defined range..I am sure the academics can cite me some papers to stumble through :D )

The daboia is a magnificent animal..

I have just been catching up with your Flikr pics.. the juvenile cerastes is, IMHO, the best snake I have seen on the forum this year.. not particularly rare,just a mad looking fella, reminisant of Bitis caudalis

Maybe I could sell a kidney.. or if I wasnt so old go on the game.. I need go on a trip soooooon!!!

Best Regards

Paul
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:00 pm

Guillaume Gomard wrote: why do you call it a "nightmare"? Was it really too hot?

Hi Guillaume!!

Not only the hot, but the extreme hot consecuences are:
a) You get tired quickly when the weather is often more than 40º
b) Animals are in estivation or actived just few minutes during the day. Nocturnal species usually begin to move at 12:00-1:00. So you catch it, take photos and release in the exactly place or out of the road (2:00), put the tent and go for sleeping (2:20). And at 7:00 the tent is hot as hell! Also hotel rooms. So you sleep 5 hours or less.
c) If you find herps during the day, you can not get photos, the ground is hot and animals open the mouth and can die. Except Trapelus. We found one in the road in Smara sunbathing with 48º!!!! Even Uromastyx were hidden. Sometimes in all around you there are no shadows in kilometers. So you have to take quick photos and leave the animal go to the burrow.
d) Water is hot.You can buy cold drink, but in 20 minutes, it will be soap!
e) You can put cold air in the car, but if you go out of the car the change of temperature hit the head as a stone
f) You have to work very hard to find each species
g) But the WORSE in Morocco are the Moroccan drivers. Moroccan people is always friendly and I really love them, but when they take the car, truck or bus they change in mad people. Not everybody but 50%. In august due to the extreme hot just a few vehicles appear during sun hours. And when the sun is dissapearing you can see in the roads the trucks and buses. They drive at 100km/h in a very bad roads. And they NEVER stop. So if you are driving in your side of the road at night, they always use the strong lights and you cant see nothing. And if in their side of the roads there is a motorcycle broken (without lights of course), a donkey DOR or something like this, they dont stop! they enter in your side at 100km/h. Then or you go out of the road or you will die. And with their strong lights you cant see so if you drive in a 4x4 you can go out of the road "without" risk, but with a normal car, it´s possible that you break the wheels or something like that. We talked there with many local people and they know that the roads are the biggest cause of mortality. Many people walk in the road at night without lights, specially in summer with the hot during the day. So many people die on roads hitten by cars/trucks/buses. And is also "probably" that you kill anybody there with the car when you try to avoid be hitten by another car/truck/bus. So always is dangerous the Moroccan roads, but in summer is specially dangerous. And finally, their vehicles are not recently built, no. Their vehicles maybe were built in 1980. Old Mercedes, old trucks and old bushes are typical. I attach a truck photos for example to show what I am talking about. These trucks at 100km/h. It is crazy...
Attachments
Moroccan truck2.jpg
Moroccan truck2.jpg (177.07 KiB) Viewed 14891 times
Moroccan truck.jpg
Moroccan truck.jpg (194.08 KiB) Viewed 14886 times
Gabriel Martínez

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:05 pm

Guillaume Gomard wrote:Is it common to observe L.fuliginosus in this area? When do you plan your next trip?

Boaedon/Lamprophis is "common" in some areas. All Moroccan snakes species are common in some places. But with Boaedon I have not been too lucky. I have seen in all trips just 1 DOR and 1 alive.

About next trip I don´t know. Maybe next spring but I am not sure. For my work I have only sure holidays in august (...). But I would wish to have a free week in april-may. Maybe Morocco, but I dream also of visiting Oman, Turkey or other mediterranean countries :)
Gabriel Martínez

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi Paul!

The taxonomy of Moroccan herps is really uncertain. Cerastes cerastes for example is very variable. One of my friends is working in genetic analysis of this species so maybe in some months/years we will see definitively results. In Agdz-Tazenahkt-Nekob (south Ouarzazate areas) is possible to find C.c. horned and hornless together. Also there are C.c. hornless in Algeria or Lybia so it does not seem a valid character for a subspecies. Maybe is a different clade in Morocco in this area or maybe just a morphological difference (?¿).

Daboia was impressive. Very quick animal and very nice and the juvenile Cerastes cerastes is also for me the nicest snake I have seen this year. Very cute

I hope your economical situation improve and you can make a trip soon!!

Cheers
Gabriel Martínez

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:26 pm

b) So you catch it, take photos and release in the exactly place or out of the road (2:00), put the tent and go for sleeping (2:20). And at 7:00 the tent is hot as hell! Also hotel rooms. So you sleep 5 hours or less.

Ok now I understand... According to your previous experience, is 2012 a particularly hot year in Morocco? I can remember that, already in May, the rivers were almost dry and it was very hard to spot Uromastyx, which shouldn't be the case under "normal" conditions in the Ouarzazate area.
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:21 pm

Guillaume Gomard wrote:According to your previous experience, is 2012 a particularly hot year in Morocco? I can remember that, already in May, the rivers were almost dry and it was very hard to spot Uromastyx, which shouldn't be the case under "normal" conditions in the Ouarzazate area

Yes, indeed. Although in the last 3 august trips I expended many time in coastal areas where the weather was better. Last winter and spring was dry and in spring we didn´t find many herps, and in august small lagoons of Kenitra and Tantan were totally dry (other years in august have a bit of water). Probably this have a direct impact in the animals activity (not only amphibians, also reptiles and mammals). I remember perfectly one road in august 2010, we found aprox 50 Psammomys (fat rats) actived in 30 minutes. This august we did same road in aprox same days and we didnt find any mammal alive or DOR, just hundreds of beetles in the road...
Gabriel Martínez

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:18 pm

Awesome shots!!!

The Daboia is pretty cool, not as cool as a palaestinae, but cool! ;)
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Matthieu Berroneau » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:07 pm

Absolutly fantastic ! Some pictures are SO great !! I hope go there one day...
Matthieu Berroneau

Hometown: Bordeaux

Next

Return to North Africa