tips for desert herping

Morocco, Algeria, Tunesia, Libya, Egypt, Sinai

tips for desert herping

Postby miguel santos » Wed May 07, 2014 10:37 am

Hi guys,
Although I have quite some experience on spotting herps in the Iberian peninsula I'll be travelling to Morocco in July (not the best time of the year :) ).
Besides the obvious early morning and evening searach I supose that water/rivers are even more important to research than in Spain? Is it worth to look for reptiles in the shade of trees or bushes during the hottest moments of the day or is it mainly a waist of time?
ItIt will not be a 100% herp trip as I go with my wife and kids, but we always find time to combine what we want to do and see. We'll be going to the south of Agadir, Sidi Ifni, Guelmim, Ouad Massa and the Atlas mountains.
Thanks for any tip.
PS: are dogs in general a problem or not?
miguel santos

Hometown: maastricht

Re: tips for desert herping

Postby Mario Schweiger » Wed May 07, 2014 11:52 am

miguel santos wrote:Hi guys,
PS: are dogs in general a problem or not?

your own or do you think on "wild" ones ;)
If wild ones, never had a problem, although in some areas they have been watching and guarding me for hours :lol:

The area south of Agadir, especialy close to the coast will be very warm, but no so much as more land inside.
You might visit the area west of Sidi Bibi, the Massa NP (right river side, Sidi Bizarne to Sidi R'bat) also river up from the bridge of the N1 (dam area), and west of Tiznit at the coast between Mirleft and Sidi Ifni.
Sorry, havent been more south within the last 25 years.
Check my trip report from 2010 at http://vipersgarden.at/reports/marokk01.php, parts 8 to 10.

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby miguel santos » Sun May 18, 2014 10:15 am

I'm sory that it took me quite some time to reply,
Thanks Mario for the tips, I got some info from other people I know (not herpers) about the area south of Agadir and that helps as well.
I'll be going to the coast between Sidi R'bat and Sidi Ifni, It should not be too hoot in July ..... and we hope for the best.
I'll be keeping a look on the weather forecast to decide or not to go further inland.

I'll keep you posted later,

Miguel
miguel santos

Postby Ronald Zimmerman » Mon May 19, 2014 10:52 pm

My experience with reptiles in the desert is to check tires next to the road and other garbage. I found a Uromastyx nigriventris in hot summer in a sports-bag. I found a Agama bibronii and a Chalcides ocellatus ocellatus under tires and garbage next to the road. :D
Feel free to follow/Like my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ronaldzimmerman.nl/
Ronald Zimmerman

Hometown: Haarlem

Postby miguel santos » Tue May 20, 2014 10:11 pm

I think it is a great hit. I wonder if my wife thinks the same :)
I will remember it nevertheless.
Miguel
miguel santos

Return to North Africa