Northern Tunisia

Morocco, Algeria, Tunesia, Libya, Egypt, Sinai

Northern Tunisia

Postby Wouter Beukema » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:25 pm

In May 2009, me and a friend made a short trip to northern Tunisia, mainly to look for Pleurodeles nebulosus and the yet-to-be described local Hyla taxon. We feared that we would be too late for these species - which turned out to be true. Hyla's were only found in the form of tadpoles, while a lack of rain during the entire stay did not permit us to find any adults. Indeed, these Hyla seem to be less common than western African populations according to local herpetologists. A last-minute Pleurodeles find made up for a lot (see below).
We spend most of our time in the vicinity of Tabarka, while making daytrips to surrounding areas. Tunisia is a fantastic country, but has recieved far less herpetological attention in comparison to i.e. Morocco while it does harbour a high number of species. A recommended destination for anyone indeed!

We arrived at Tunis airport, picked up the rental car and drove in the direction of Ichkeul National Park. Our goal in Ichkeul was a small limestone hill which clearly stands out from the surrounding landscape. The national park consists furthermore of a brakish lake and extensive grasslands/wetlands in which especially a high number of bird species is present. Within a small quarry and a nearby wetland we managed to find Mauremys leprosa, Timon pater, Pelophylax saharicus, Hemidactylus turcicus, Psammodromus algirus, Macroprotodon cucullatus, Natrix maura and Hemmorhois hippocrepis. The T. pater were incredibly bright green, somewhat like Podarcis waglerianus. Natrix maura in Tunisia belong to an east-Maghrebian lineage which diverged from the western populations several millions of years ago. The same lineage is also present on Sardinia. These populations seem to have much shorter heads than western maura populations.

DSCF1065.JPG
Our goal...

DSCF1085.JPG
Welcome!

DSCF1071.JPG
Typical habitat of Mauremys leprosa, Timon pater, Pelophylax saharicus, Hemidactylus turcicus, Psammodromus algirus, Natrix maura, Hemmorhois hippocrepis and probably a lot more.

DSCF1091.JPG
Pelophylax saharicus

DSCF1103.JPG
Timon pater

DSCF1142.JPG
A very large Macroprotodon cucullatus.

DSCF1151.JPG

DSCF1082.JPG
A typical plump Tunisian maura

DSCF1138.JPG
Note the short head...

For the rest of our stay we took a hotel in central Tabarka, looking out on the old Genoese castle. Miscellaneous finds in the direct vicinity consisted of Psammodromus algirus, a very angry Malpolon insignitus and a unfortunate A. mauritanicus which was under siege by a batallion of leeches.
DSCF1095.JPG

DSCF1211.JPG
Psammodromus algirus

DSCF1235.JPG
Malpolon insignitus

DSCF1204.JPG
Poor toad...

Somewhat south of Tabarka we visited a large, partially abandoned quarry. Besides many of the same species that we found in Ichkeul, Chalcides occelatus and Amietophrynus mauritanicus were added to the list. The biogeographical story of the Chalcides is very similar to that of the eastern N. maura; closely related populations also occur on Sardinia, as well as in western Lybia and Sicily.

DSCF1105.JPG
Green quarry

DSCF1107.JPG
Chalcides occelatus

DSCF1125.JPG
Timon pater male

DSCF1131.JPG
Amietophrynus mauritanicus

Also, considerable time was spend in the forests near Ain Draham. While we failed to find any Bufo bufo, we did come across many Discoglossus pictus, Chalcides occelatus again which seem to occupy quite a large range of habitats, and the (also) yet-to-be described Tunisian Podarcis lineage. This latter one looked quite different from the 'vaucheri' I've seen in Andalucia and Morocco.

DSCF1199.JPG
Tunisian forest

DSCF1157.JPG
Large D. pictus

DSCF1163.JPG
Discoglossus eggs

DSCF1222.JPG
Striped morph

DSCF1171.JPG
Algeria is just on the other side. Habitat of among others C. occelatus and Podarcis.

DSCF1172.JPG
Podarcis sp.

Podarcis_tunisia2.JPG

Then, a site near Jendouba. In an area full of ponds (and fish...) a tiny pond up the hill delivered many larvae and tadpoles of Pleurodeles and Hyla. A small Mauremys was found basking at a larger pond. A general lack of cover objects to turn made us fear we wouldn't find any more species; fortunately a farmer had removed some large stones from his field under which several adult P. nebulosus were found.
DSCF1195.JPG
Little pond, high hopes...

DSCF1194.JPG
Yes! Pleurodeles nebulosus.

DSCF1269.JPG
Few stones, high hopes again...

DSCF1266.JPG
Pleurodeles nebulosus

DSCF1263.JPG

DSCF1191.JPG
Mauremys leprosa

After that, only the 'airport herps' remain. Just before returning our rental car we searched in a less pretty habitat, and managed to find the last Hemidactylus turcicus and C. occelatus of the trip.
DSCF1275.JPG
Habitat near Monastir

DSCF1270.JPG
Hemidactylus turcicus

DSCF1277.JPG
Very old Chalcides occelatus

As we missed quite some species, and did not even venture south, the only conclusion can be that a second trip is inevitable!
Wouter Beukema

Hometown: Enschede

Re: Northern Tunisia

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:33 pm

Very nice, Thanks for sharing!!! I keep my fingers corss for your next trip to Tunesia!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby GertJan Verspui » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:25 pm

Wouter, looks like a great area, and the Pleurodeles are really nice.
Amphibian & Reptile Adventures http://www.gertjanverspui.com
Instagram: @gj.verspui_wildlife
Facebook: Gerrit Jan Verspui
GertJan Verspui

Hometown: Giessenburg

Postby Paul Lambourne » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:06 pm

Wouter

Great report, especially at this cold and quiet time of the year. Fabulous to see habitat shots and decent species pictures of pleurodeles nebulosus.

Many thanks

Paul
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Postby Peter Oefinger » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:51 am

Thanks for sharing. Strange Natrix and Podarcis. Really interesting.
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:07 am

by Wouter Beukema » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Memory loss, guys? :twisted: :lol:
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Paul Lambourne » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:59 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Memory loss, guys?

Jeroen,

I was in the Balkans for the early part of April and on morphine for the next three months... thats my excuse and Im sticking to it..

It is in no way related to the fact I am geting older, and often walk into a room and cant remember why I went in there... maybe the nineties rave scene has much to answer for :D
Kind regards

Paul
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Postby Kamil Szepanski » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:59 pm

Hi,

Tunisia is a nice place for herping indeed! If you ever happen to be there again, I recommend visiting the Ennahli Park north of Tunis (La Arianna). I was there a few years back in December (-> my pictures) and had a great time. Though it is touristically orientated you find my "wild" places there.

Best Greetings
Kamil
Kamil D. Szepanski
lungenlos.de
Kamil Szepanski

Hometown: Aalen

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:35 pm

Paul Lambourne wrote:maybe the nineties rave scene

:lol:
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin