just some lizards from Egypt

Morocco, Algeria, Tunesia, Libya, Egypt, Sinai

Re: just some lizards from Egypt

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:32 am

Why so few amateur herpetological reports from Egypt? Does any book or publication about herping in this country exist? What species are the easiest to encounter in January? Geckos?
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Mario Schweiger » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:23 am

Michal Szkudlarek wrote: Does any book or publication about herping in this country exist?

For sure!

Baha el Din, S. (2006): A Guide to the Reptiles and Amphibians of Egypt. American Univ. in Cairo Press. ISBN 977 424 979 8. € 36,80 at Chimaira.

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Tomas Mazuch » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:00 am

Here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/58603885@N ... 151501897/) you can see some my pictures from winter (January / February 2012) herping in S and SE Egypt. All large lizards and snakes hibernated (day / night temperatures - 25/10).
Tomas
Tomas Mazuch

Hometown: Pardubice

Postby Thomas Bader » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:48 pm

This book is really good!

One problem is that it is not so easy to move with a car in Egypt. There are a lot of controls, espescially in Sinai.
I was in Marsa Alam and twice times in Sinai (diving) - thre it was not possible, to hire a car (only with driver).

I wanted to travel to Gebel Elba area, which is now open to the public, but I couldn't manage to hire a car in Marsa Alam.

Although there are troubles in Egypt (Kairo, Alexandria) the situation seems good at the red sea. A friend was diving shortly and had no problems.
Thomas Bader

Hometown: Vienna

Postby Tomas Mazuch » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:50 pm

I traveled by hitch-hiking, from Marsa Alam to Shalatein (this is the most southern town-village, which you can visit as normal tourist). Farther south they would not let us...The problem was also traveled by hitch-hiking from Marsa Alam to Edfu (to Asuan), accross the Eastern Desert. They told us that it is not safe. Egypt is very fine, but bureaucratic...We had no problem between Edfu and Asuan and between Hamata (SE Egypt, S of Marsa Alam) and Safaga (just S of Hurghada).
Tomas Mazuch

Hometown: Pardubice

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:17 pm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/michalszk ... 123793686/ only Trachylepis quinquetaeniata quinquetaeniata skinks
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Previous

Return to North Africa