http://www.moroccoherps.com/en/ficha/Trapelus_boehmei

Soon in english!!!!!!!!!!!! SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops:

Gabri
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Re: A new Trapelus species for north Africa

Postby Mario Schweiger » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:43 pm

Thanks Gabri for the link!
I have added the "new" species now also to the species database - and FH.members may download the paper of description there too!

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:03 pm

OK Mario, the database it´s very cool!!! ;)
Gabriel Martínez

Postby Pierre-Yves Vaucher » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:38 am

Gabri, I like and "understand" a little spanish ;) Your pages are always well done, I like. I never seen Trapelus in Morocco, hope for one day ?!
Its a new sepcies on your site or new described ? Who did the descrption ? Sorry I see now is from 2011 !!
I put your website in the links on my forum
Pierre-Yves Vaucher

Postby Mario Schweiger » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:44 am

Hi Pierre-Yves

Pierre-Yves Vaucher wrote:Its a new sepcies on your site or new described ? Who did the descrption ?

Trapelus boehmei was Trapelus mutabilis before!
Go to the amphibians and reptiles database (last link on the board index page - for registered members only) and look for T. boehmei. There you will find the paper of description to download!
Here the summary:
We present a review of the morphology and current taxonomy of North African Trapelus species. The Saharo-
Sindian agamid genus contains 15 species, of which five occur in northern Africa. The taxonomy of this complex
group continues to provide difficulties for taxonomists because of a lack of consistent morphologically diagnostic
characters and relatively high intraspecific morphological variation. In particular, the widespread species Trapelus
mutabilis, which occurs from Egypt in the east to Mauritania in the west, has been identified as a species complex
and probably represents an artificial grouping of unrelated taxa. This taxonomic uncertainty is exacerbated
because a type specimen for T. mutabilis was never designated. In our taxonomic review, we designate a neotype
for T. mutabilis, allowing a review of the northern African species, the description of two new taxa, and the
compilation of a comprehensive identification key. We present a multivariate analysis of morphology within T.
mutabilis and, in addition, we present a molecular phylogenetic analysis incorporating a ~500-bp region of the
mitochondrial 16S ribosomal RNA gene, and a relaxed molecular clock analysis to estimate the ages of clades
within Trapelus. Our results demonstrate that these lineages have a deep and complex biogeographical history.

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Pierre-Yves Vaucher » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:54 am

okaaaaayy thanks for comprehensive explanation 8-)
Pierre-Yves Vaucher

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:37 pm

Pierre-Yves Vaucher wrote:Your pages are always well done, I like

Thanks Pierre! But many of the accounts are made by another people: Trapelus by Octavio for example, and other by Francisco Jimenez, Mario, Victor Gabari... When the web will be finished and in spanish/ english/ french it would be great and I hope to help local people to appreciate the value of these fantastic animals. I thank you also for collaborate with your fantastic photos Pierre. I would wish to meet there with you, Mario and all the herpers who loves the Moroccan herpetofauna.

Mario Schweiger wrote:Trapelus boehmei was Trapelus mutabilis before!
Go to the amphibians and reptiles database (last link on the board index page - for registered members only) and look for T. boehmei. There you will find the paper of description to download!
Here the summary

Yes, it´s just a new species from the Trapelus mutabilis complex. All the specimens of Morocco, Western Sahara, Mauritanie and west ALgeria assigned in the past to T. mutabilis are now included in this species. Wagner and his collegues are making a very good work with the Agamids of North Africa and Middle East.

Pierre-Yves Vaucher wrote:I never seen Trapelus in Morocco, hope for one day

In Israel in 2 trips of one week I saw more than 4 Trapelus and 2 Pseudotrapelus. But in Morocco in 10 trips I´ve only seen maybe 2 aliveTrapelus and some DOR. I don´t know why but in the Morocco trips I see always more than 20 Agama by trip and no Trapelus...
Gabriel Martínez

Postby Thomas Bader » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:42 pm

Yes, we had the same experience last year, when we saw lot of Agama and finally only one single Trapelus.

And here it is - found by the one ond only Franz Rathbauer

100503_Tag10_Merzouga_14.jpg
Trapelus boehmei
Thomas Bader

Hometown: Vienna

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:24 pm

Congrats to you findings! BTW very nice individual!!!
Gabriel Martínez

Return to North Africa