First berus

France, British isles

Re: First berus

Postby Stéphane Aubry » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:25 pm

Woww great news from the UK and B&H...

Conditions in NW Switzerland are still bad. Despite the sun is shining T° don't get up more than 3-4°C and the nights are cold with about - 2°C. Forecasts for the next 10 days are not very enthusiastic... Probably no chance to find a V. aspis before March here :-(
Stéphane Aubry

Hometown: Neuchatel

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:18 pm

Stéphane Aubry wrote:Woww great news from the UK and B&H...

Conditions in NW Switzerland are still bad. Despite the sun is shining T° don't get up more than 3-4°C and the nights are cold with about - 2°C. Forecasts for the next 10 days are not very enthusiastic... Probably no chance to find a V. aspis before March here :-(

I checked again the report of Brunelli of 2011, he could find an asp viper as well as an Aesculapian Snake during the two first weeks of February (in the valleys of the VS canton). I'm also wondering if the first swiss asps will go out before March this year..
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Postby Stéphane Aubry » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:02 pm

Guillaume Gomard wrote:I checked again the report of Brunelli of 2011, he could find an asp viper as well as an Aesculapian Snake during the two first weeks of February (in the valleys of the VS canton). I'm also wondering if the first swiss asps will go out before March this year..

The canton of Valais has very good meteorological conditions, impossible to compare with my area :-(

But I saw a White Stork, Ciconia ciconia, this morning... Spring is not far...
Stéphane Aubry

Postby Paul Lambourne » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:20 pm

Just back from a pleasant walk with the hound, visited a local site for newts, activity seen from Triturus cristatus and Lissotriton species, could be either vulgaris or helveticus as both occur in good numbers in the pond.. without netting I cant be sure.. no bufo activity at my local site, and no frog spawn anywhere ... sun still out and a heady 8 degrees!!

Cheers Paul
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:35 pm

Aleksandar Simovic wrote:I forgot to mention here but first ammodytes is observed on 22. january :) by Melisa Skopljak in Bosnia & Herzegovina.

But WHERE in BiH, as early as that?
(If it's not a total secret, that is...)
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:54 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Aleksandar Simovic wrote:I forgot to mention here but first ammodytes is observed on 22. january :) by Melisa Skopljak in Bosnia & Herzegovina.

But WHERE in BiH, as early as that?
(If it's not a total secret, that is...)

Remarkable, to say the least...
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Aleksandar Simovic » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:56 pm

I will ask Melisa
Aleksandar Simovic

Hometown: Belgrade

Postby Bastien Comment » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:15 pm

The first asp viper I've seen in 2012 was on the 4th of March so I cross my fingers for the 2 next weeks ;)

And actually, I haven't been able not to go to one of my spot on Saturday after noon but obviously, I confirm that it's still too early, there's still snow on most places of the spot...
Bastien Comment

Hometown: Lausanne

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:17 pm

Stéphane Aubry wrote:Conditions in NW Switzerland are still bad. Despite the sun is shining T° don't get up more than 3-4°C and the nights are cold with about - 2°C... Probably no chance to find a V. aspis before March here :-(

From the end of February onwards those are conditions in which it would make perfect sense to search for berus here in Denmark...
Kristian Munkholm

Hometown: Copenhagen

Postby Stéphane Aubry » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:16 pm

Kristian Munkholm wrote: From the end of February onwards those are conditions in which it would make perfect sense to search for berus here in Denmark...

Yep, a bit too cold for V. aspis... and for V. berus, probably all the places where they live in Switzerland are still under some centimeters of snow with very low temperatures during the night... (- 15°C in my area...) :?
Stéphane Aubry

PreviousNext

Return to Western Europe