England Awakens

France, British isles

England Awakens

Postby Liam Russell » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:06 pm

What with the dreadful weather and limited time it's been a slow start to the season. But things are picking up now. First some adders from Yorkshire in late March.

Managed to get to some sand lizard sites in Dorset for the first time today, quite a few about but none have sloughed yet. Very late...

Liam Russell

Hometown: Frome

Re: England Awakens

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:56 am

Great shots!!!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Mario Schweiger » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:24 am

one of the two berus on the last vipers pic looks like to be a bit greenish ;)

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:44 am

Good stuff! Is this the first Coronella on the forum this year..?
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Paul Lambourne » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:35 am

Liam

Nice overview of the year so far, did you do wall and green lizards whilst you were in Dorset? The wall lizards seemed to be the first reptiles out this year!

I hope the very spoilt mainland European members of the forum appreciate how difficult it is to get a decent coronella picture in the UK. :D

Paul
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Postby Niklas Ban » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:58 pm

Very great ! The coronella makes me joealous :lol: but at the moment every snake picture makes me jealous, because I didn't found one this year until yet :(
Niklas Ban

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:00 pm

Well, yes indeed, Paul, I was expecting e.g. Daniel Bohle to come up with this year's first Coronella, rather than Liam with this UK rarity.

I would guess wall lizards can be the first active reptile species any year everywhere (as we discussed before) - they seem to switch on and off more easily then other species? Fire salamander is also very flexible - just a milder couple of days between periods of frost can lure many outside, as exemplified nicely by the past winter. Amazing capacities, which entail much higher energy costs in endotherm animals.

If it's any consolation, Niklas, I haven't seen a single snake this year either :oops: . Even by my standards, that late, as I usually manage to squeeze in an adder or two in April. My first 2013 snake will be on Milos next Sunday :D
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Niklas Ban » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:05 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:If it's any consolation, Niklas, I haven't seen a single snake this year either :oops: . Even by my standards, that late, as I usually manage to squeeze in an adder or two in April. My first 2013 snake will be on Milos next Sunday :D

:lol: The best luck to you for Milos. Maybe tommorow the first natrix will show off :)
Niklas Ban

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Daniel Bohle » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:38 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Well, yes indeed, Paul, I was expecting e.g. Daniel Bohle to come up with this year's first Coronella, rather than Liam with this UK rarity.

Yes, due to the weather, my ladies and some other things my adder count is something like 62 so far instead of a few hundred :o
So I decided to skip visiting the coronella hibernaculum this year to safe every free minute for the berus.
Daniel Bohle

Hometown: Berlin

Postby Liam Russell » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:16 pm

I actually found two Coronella but as I was having a strictly in situ day, I was too slow to get a picture of the second.

Paul Lambourne wrote:
Nice overview of the year so far, did you do wall and green lizards whilst you were in Dorset? The wall lizards seemed to be the first reptiles out this year!

I didn't try there. If the sand lizards haven't shed yet, I doubt the greens have (I like them pretty) and I have soooo many Podarcis pictures from that site! I haven't heard of anyone even seeing the greens yet.

You are right though, the first wall lizard I head reported this year was 11th January. I think they can be seen on a sunny day any time of year. Someone measured the surface temperature of the rocks they live on as 25°C with air temp <10°C in March...
Liam Russell

Hometown: Frome

Next

Return to Western Europe