England Awakens

France, British isles

Re: England Awakens

Postby Ulrich Schulte » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:49 pm

Hi all,

inspired by Liams post and the discussion about Coronella awakening, I was checking the Cornonella population half an hour ago. 12 days ago it has not been active. Today, the conditions were excellent, very cloudy and 15 degrees. I found 3 individuals only controlling 500 meters of a dry stone wall, and it was nice to see that all individuals were recaptures from 2011 and 2012. However bot adults were males and one juvenile, but the females should appear the next days.

Greetings, Ulli
Attachments
clouds.JPG
cloud conditions
Ulrich Schulte

Hometown: Trier

Postby Ulrich Schulte » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:54 pm

forgot the upload
Attachments
juvenil1.JPG
quite skinny it will hopefully find a wall lizard or slow worm the next days
juvenil2.JPG
juvenil3.JPG
not so hard to spot
male21.JPG
well hidden
male 22.JPG
male23.JPG
male 24.JPG
male11.JPG
Ulrich Schulte

Hometown: Trier

Postby Peter Oefinger » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:12 pm

@all UK guys: are all your agilis so heavily black & white contrasted? Here are my first pictures from this year: look at these pale guys!
As a reply to Ulrich and for my honor I added my first Coronella in 2013...
agilis.jpg
agilis2.jpg
agilis3.jpg
agilis4.jpg
agilis5.jpg
coronella.jpg
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Paul Lambourne » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:27 pm

Peter Oefinger wrote:@all UK guys: are all your agilis so heavily black & white contrasted?

Peter, I cant speak for everyone else, but IMHO, this picture I took in Dorset seems the typical colour form of the agilis I have seen down south.. I cannot speak for northern populations.. I try not to venture up there,Its cold and you cant get decent coffee...

IMG_5036 copy.jpg
IMG_5036 copy.jpg (71.78 KiB) Viewed 4211 times

Cheers Paul
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:02 pm

Nice additions, Peter & Ulrich!

Interesting about those agilis... I would even dare to put forward that those I've seen in Belgium and Netherlands tend to be somewhat in between, but others will now prove me wrong, I guess ;)
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Matthijs Hollanders » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:08 pm

Nice pictures.
Matthijs Hollanders

Hometown: Wageningen

Postby Peter Oefinger » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:56 am

Paul Lambourne wrote: this picture I took in Dorset seems the typical colour form of the agilis I have seen down south

Hmpf, why do the UK guys look better than the Germans...
I wonder if it is some kind of habitat adaption. Is the lizard on your picture from a limestone area or an acidic moor or heathland?
Peter Oefinger

Postby Liam Russell » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:17 am

Peter Oefinger wrote:@all UK guys: are all your agilis so heavily black & white contrasted?

Yes in the south (heathland habitat only) they are mostly like this, but in the north (sand dune habitat) they are quite different.

These are southern heathland animals from Dorset and Surrey.

These are northern males (I don't have good pictures of northern animals I'm afraid - a project for this year).

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote: I would even dare to put forward that those I've seen in Belgium and Netherlands tend to be somewhat in between, but others will now prove me wrong, I guess ;)

Interesting that you mention this... In my recent studies I looked at the differences between colour and pattern of the norther and southern UK populations and a dutch population (closer to the ancestral UK population). This is a PCA of colour (red/green/blue component of flank colour) and a number of pattern characteristics. Black squares are northern UK, black diamonds are from the Netherlands and the open shapes are two southern UK populations. As you can see, Netherlands is somewhere in between northern UK and southern UK.

PCA.jpg

Not sure why the northern UK are so different, maybe it's down to habitat but it is worth noting that they have low variability and a very low effective population size and therefore are more susceptible to genetic drift. Interestingly, although they look to be different colour, the green component of the RGB was not significantly different across all site whereas red and blue were. Green at a specific wavelength is very important for sexual signalling in sand lizards so whereas other colours can change for camouflage or due to genetic drift, green is selected for and stays the same.
Liam Russell

Hometown: Frome

Postby Peter Oefinger » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:55 am

Interesting: if the southern UK lizards show heavy dark markings but the northern UK lizards do not, it shouldn’t be a matter of thermoregulation. Hence there remains the camouflage or genetic drift hypothesis. For me it seems to be a camouflage thing: specimen in crytaline rock & heather environments seem to show contrasting patterns, in limestone & grassy environments they don’t – note that this appeals also for other specimen, e.g. Zootoca.
Peter Oefinger

Postby Daniel Kane » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:11 am

Peter Oefinger wrote:Interesting: if the southern UK lizards show heavy dark markings but the northern UK lizards do not, it shouldn’t be a matter of thermoregulation. Hence there remains the camouflage or genetic drift hypothesis. For me it seems to be a camouflage thing: specimen in crytaline rock & heather environments seem to show contrasting patterns, in limestone & grassy environments they don’t – note that this appeals also for other specimen, e.g. Zootoca.

I'd be tempted to agree with you on that Peter. The northern UK sand lizards live in sand dunes - broad pale stripes (perhaps looking like marram grass?) and a generally more pale ground colour would seem to provide better camouflage than the heavy, dark stippling and larger blotches seen on the back and flanks of the southern races (more like the shadows cast by e.g. heather, or the heather itself?).

Just my 2p.
Daniel Kane

Hometown: London

PreviousNext

Return to Western Europe