My Season

France, British isles

My Season

Postby Daniel Kane » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:23 pm

Seeing as it seems to be the done thing this year, here is a section I will update with my year's herping (and maybe other wildlife highlights) as and when it occurs. I recently bought a macro lens, so maybe expect many of the photos to be of this style ;)

First trip out of the year was the 10th of March; 6*C, sunny. Just a single berus (F11) and around 8 vivipara in an hour. I had been hoping to be searching from early February, especially after seeing the success of other UK herpers on New Year's Day, but all my days off work were rainy so not much luck.

IMG_9291 wps.jpg
Male vivipara

I went back to 'my' place again today when it was a bit warmer, around 10*C. In 2 hours I came across F11 mosaic basking and around 10 vivipara again. She is a very confident individual and allows a very close approach without seemingly being concerned. No idea where the male snakes are now despite having checked all hibernacula yesterday and today. I suppose in time I will come across them. Also saw a roe deer briefly which was a nice surprise.

IMG_9455 wps1.jpg
F11

IMG_9479 wps1.jpg
About to move into the shade

Hopefully I'll be able to make it to this place and more this year. I'd like to be able to follow the little lizards through their breeding season but we will see how realistic that dream is. Anyway, I look forward to seeing how all your seasons go! Some nice observations so far, keep it up :D
Daniel Kane

Hometown: London

Re: My Season

Postby Daniel Kane » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:39 pm

Had a few hours out around midday today. 7*C with quite a strong wind and not a lot of sun. It took almost two hours to find the first (and only) snake of the day. Also saw a couple of lizards basking here and there, and two basking close together. They didn't show any behavioural signs of mating; maybe they felt they had to keep extra-vigilant in the cool weather.

IMG_9614 wps.jpg
The small female

IMG_9623 wps.jpg
Bigger male

The adder was a very nice sight for me. She is F3 (3rd female I found here) and I last saw her in September 2012 when I was writing my university dissertation on the adders at this location. Before that the last sighting I have of her is from August 2010. Perhaps these years I have seen her she is ready to mate, but I don't know for sure. Maybe I will get to see her again in 2016 ;)

IMG_9667 wp2gs.jpg
F3
Daniel Kane

Postby Daniel Kane » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:17 pm

I haven't had much chance to get out in the field recently, but today managed to make a small dream of mine come true. Took a drive (4h round trip) to see some Grass snakes in Cumbria which I had never done before. I know that some of you living in the more southerly parts of the country/continent may think it is crazy to drive so far for this snake, but I think these are beautiful snakes, and my first grassies in about 5 years. My friend and I came across all four species of reptile native to the county of Cumbria, which wasn't bad going for what turned out to be a very warm day.

IMG_1589wps.JPG
Male Natrix and Anguis

IMG_1856wps.JPG
Yearling Zootoca

IMG_1896s.JPG
Vipera and Zootoca habitat

IMG_1900wps.JPG
Small adult female

IMG_1992wps.JPG
Female Natrix

IMG_2066ps.JPG
In her habitat

Last week I was at my local adder site and came across a few females, all going into shed. One of the females was a new one to me which was a nice surprise; the first new adult snake here in almost two years. She (F13) snuck up on me while I was watching F11 - around 50m and half an hour from where I left her.

IMG_1461wps.JPG
F11

IMG_1534wps.JPG
F13 (new female)

Back in early April my friend and I had a trip to the coast to find some adders. This was a nice warm sunny day and we found 4 males in a few hours in the heathland and dunes.

IMG_9909 wpgs.jpg
Nice male
Daniel Kane

Postby Daniel Kane » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:30 pm

A few more shots from today;

IMG_3837wps.JPG
Likely M8

IMG_3813wps.JPG
First baby of the year, for me

Any more UK/EU babies? I would expect I'm not the first to have them in my area.
Daniel Kane

Postby Liam Russell » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:15 am

Yes we had them 19 August in Sussex/Hampshire.
Liam Russell

Hometown: Frome

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:31 am

The one I showed on Andre's summer post was from August 16th.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Return to Western Europe