A quick visit to Calais

France, British isles

A quick visit to Calais

Postby Paul Lambourne » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:28 am

As part of my role in Kent Reptile and Amphibian Conservation Group ,on Sunday I was lucky enough to take part in a cross channel liaison with Conservatoire d'espaces naturels, Nord Pas de Calais.Our object was to initialise a berus survey in a beautiful site not far from the Euro tunnel. We took with us a number of tins and felts, and along with the French volunteers, identified suitable locations to place them. We demonstrated best practise in survey techniques and recording. Sadly weather conditions were not suitable for reptiles.The site will be monitored weekly for the next year to gauge populations.

After the berus site we moved a few miles down the coast to a dune area and were fortunate enough to see Lissotriton vulgaris, Lissotriton helveticus,Bufo bufo and Pelodytes punctatus.

A few observations from the day:

French berus habitat is a lot more marsh like than the UK.

Why when I herp ( with the exception of the fabulous Laura) do I go out with hairy arsed, burping, farting grumpy blokes ( obviously Bobby is super jaunty) were as my French counter part was surrounded by a harem of attractive female herpers.

At lunchtime the Brits opened flasks of tea and unwrapped ham sandwiches,our French colleagues had wine, beer, cake and all manner of lovely comestibles..

A great day, despite the weather, huge thanks to all concerned.

I returned home to find temporaria in amplexus in my garden..lovely.

A few pics:

CAW_4013 copy.jpg

CAW_4027.JPG

CAW_4005.JPG
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Re: A quick visit to Calais

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:48 am

Didn't expect to see a Pelo posted today! Kinda gives me lust to go try to meet them when calling in numbers in the daytime (experienced this once but never got to hit it again on the same spot)...

Paul Lambourne wrote:French berus habitat is a lot more marsh like than the UK.

Well, here in Belgium berus definitely shows more affinity for more humid environments than Coronella, but I have also seen berus in N France on calcareous slopes and in semi-dense thorny scrub stuff or even nettles, so it's not all marshy.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:49 am

You do know that there's arvalis in NP de Calais, right? :P
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Paul Lambourne » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:59 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:You do know that there's arvalis in NP de Calais, right?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !

:o
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:28 pm

Highly localised and with small density, though.

http://www.gon.fr/GON/IMG/pdf/PosterGre ... ps4ter.pdf
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Bobby Bok » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:51 pm

You are such a sweetheart, never missing out on any chance to flatter me! Love the Grass Frog amplexus, this year I will put some serious effort in getting decent shots of the local species. Lacerta agilis, Lissotriton vulgaris, Rana temporaria... all species that miss a decent shot in my collection...
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Return to Western Europe