London Grass Snakes - UPDATE

France, British isles

London Grass Snakes - UPDATE

Postby Ilian Velikov » Thu May 20, 2010 12:06 am

I know it's not of a big interest to you but it was my first Grass Snake in England, so I decided to share it!

Today I went to a local park in north-west London which I've been visiting quite often. There is a sign saying there are Slow Worms at that spot but I haven't seen any yet, so I decided I'll take a walk to see if I can find something! To my surprise,instead of lizards I found a pretty good sized(about 80 cm) female Natrix natrix! :) It was an unexpected encounter since I haven't heard of any snakes in the area! When I cought it, it emptied its cloacal contents on my hands and it was the worst smellin Nattrix I've ever cought! I could not get rid off the stinch whole day..in fact my hands are still stinking now, as I write, no matter that I washed them 100 times and perfumed them! Next time I think I'm going to use latex gloves! :lol: It took me quite a long time to calm it down but it was my first Grass Snake from the UK, so I wasn't leaving without a photo!

1.jpg
the habitat

2.jpg
Just for size comparison

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Five minutes after releasing the snkae I saw another smaller one! Maybe a male but it was too quick and I coudn't get a photo! Anyway, I don't think there are a lot of them at that spot. There are too many people around..walking their dogs, children, etc. There are plans for building accomodation buildins, swimming pool and a enlarging the parking space, which is not good news! Local people are against this but I doubt it they will succeed in their protests!

Best wishes
Ilian
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Re: London Grass Snakes

Postby Tom Hoogesteger » Thu May 20, 2010 12:28 am

Nice, looks like a Natrix natrix astreptophora.
Tom Hoogesteger

Hometown: Jarvenpaa

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Thu May 20, 2010 6:14 am

Ilian Velikov wrote:I know it's not of a big interest to you but it was my first Grass Snake in England, so I decided to share it!
Not correct!!! I love them!!!!!!!!
Very interesting snake, it would be nice to know if all looks like that one in this area!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Vlad Cioflec » Thu May 20, 2010 8:08 am

This `herp in habitat` shot is great! :D
Vlad Cioflec

Hometown: Bucharest

Postby Mario Schweiger » Thu May 20, 2010 8:35 am

Yes, indeed!
I have to confirm Vlad.

.... and a strange looking helvetica too!
How the others af that population look like?

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu May 20, 2010 10:39 am

Mario Schweiger wrote:How the others af that population look like?

+1!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Ilian Velikov » Thu May 20, 2010 11:11 am

Thank you all for the comments! I'm a bit confused with N.natrix subspecies..there are so much of them! So,it's helvetica? I only saw one more individual..smaller and it had the light/yellow markings on the neck,so I guess they are not all like this one!But yesterday I didn't know there were snakes in the area,so I'm going to check again how many are there and how they look!
Ilian Velikov

Postby Ilian Velikov » Thu May 20, 2010 6:39 pm

Today I went again to the same spot to see if I can find more Grass Snakes! Even though the weather was quite warm I had no luck..I only saw the male (or subadult!?) from yesterday at the exact same place! I managed to get one in-situ photo before it was gone! Unlike the female this one looks pretty ordinary! I don't know what's the size of this population but I think there are very few of them!

P5206027.JPG
Ilian Velikov

Re: London Grass Snakes - UPDATE

Postby Ilian Velikov » Sat May 22, 2010 10:17 pm

And the next day I went again with my girlfriend. I cought this juvenile which, again, looks pretty ordinary. I guess the female was just an individual case! All of the snakes were observed within a very small area of 10-15 m.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG
Ilian Velikov

Re: London Grass Snakes - UPDATE

Postby Francesco Tri » Sun May 23, 2010 6:13 am

Beautiful model and excellent photo: especially with your hand does justice to the impressiveness of the animal!
In England there should only ssp Helvetica, right?
Francesco Tri

Hometown: BARI ITALY

Next

Return to Western Europe