Daniel Kane - Around my Home

France, British isles

Daniel Kane - Around my Home

Postby Daniel Kane » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:39 pm

The last few weeks I have made a few trips around my area with the idea to see as many cool animal species as I can before I move away for university. Here are some pictures which I made on those trips. The furthest ones from my home will be from the lake, so 8 miles away.

The closest lake to my home has lizards of both species naturally found in Cumbria; Anguis fragilis and Zootoca vivipara. Both species occur at quite high densities here. No snakes have been seen here. Surprising, as the habitat looks suitable for adders and grass snakes and there is plenty of prey for both species. I suppose there are no good 'corridors' for dispersal of the adder from other places nearby, and it may be generally too cool for the grass snake eggs to develop properly with enough time for hatchlings to feed before hibernation.

The habitat here is completely natural. There are plenty of rocks in certain areas and a lot of ground cover from ferns, heather, etc... There is a large forest up in the valley. Most of my observations come from an area of a few small hills with a rocky face facing the lake shore.

I saw the first babies of Zootoca at the end of July this year. It seems with the wet climate and cool summer we have had, birthing is about two week later this year than last year.

Non-herp species of interest in this valley include Otters, Red Squirrel, Pine Marten (supposedly, latest record from 1999), Golden-ringed Dragonfly (England's largest species), Merlin and a pair of Peregrine Falcons which nest on the cliffs. There are many other species of insects, birds (lots of buzzards) and fish. As far as reptiles and amphibians are concerned, grass frogs, common toads, palmate newts, viviparous lizards and slow-worms can be found.

DSCF9501 (800x1067).jpg
The habitat

DSCF9465 (800x1067).jpg
Habitat and...

DSCF9452 (800x600).jpg
Zootoca vivipara

DSCF9520 (800x600).jpg
Two young from the 1st of August

DSCF9363 (800x600).jpg
Anguis fragilis, male

DSCF9376 (800x600).jpg
Nice grey male

DSCF9555 (800x600).jpg
One asleep under a rock

The other place I like to go and look for reptiles is closer to home, about two miles away. This is the place where I found my first adder by myself last year. Since then I have seen this individual again (big female, 74+cm now) and six others. The habitat is an area about 1Km x 0.6km, mostly conifer forest, with a bog on the side. The area where I have found snakes in the past is just this small section on the edge of the forest. It is not extensive though, and I am seeing the same animals over again, leading me to believe that the population is not very large. The conifer forest was planted in this area by the forestry commission, so perhaps there used to be more snakes but now with less suitable habitat only a few can find enough food to survive here. Either that, or these snakes don't mind being photographed and all the others prefer to hide! The only other reptile species I have seen here is the viviparous lizard. I think it's probably too wet for Anguis. Again, historically grass snakes have been seen in this area, although most recently around the end of the 1800's. Apart from these herps I have seen Bufo bufo and Rana temporaria.

Other notable animals in this area include Roe Deer, Badgers, Foxes, Buzzards, Kestrels, Tawny and Short-eared owls.. And the other week a man saw a puma run across the road!! Presumably the same one which left footprints in the snow back in January in a coastal town a few miles away. That's one hell of a cat to run into when you're out herping!

I went there this afternoon with the intention of finding these two species. Temperature was around 25*C and it was full sunshine, so I only saw lizards at this point.

DSCF9640 (800x1067).jpg
Habitat and...

DSCF9648 (800x400).jpg
Zootoca vivipara

The photo below was taken at 4pm, just before the heavens opened once again.

DSCF9671 (800x600).jpg
The habitat this afternoon

I waited for 20 minutes in the car rather than drive home, hoping that the storm would blow over. Unlikely though as the whole county has a severe weather warning for heavy storms today, so I thought once it came over from the north it would be here to stay.Waiting turned out to be the right decision though! After the rain stopped I got right back at it, and within 10 minuted I found a 45cm female Vipera berus outside a hibernation den, used by a single male this year. I didn't realise at the time, but she's the same girl I found two days ago at another hibernation den close by.

DSCF9672 (800x600).jpg
Female Vipera berus, in-situ

DSCF9693 (800x1067).jpg
Vipera and habitat

DSCF9703 (800x600).jpg
Vipera berus, portrait

DSCF9736 (800x600).jpg
Vipera berus, tounge action

DSCF9574 (800x600).jpg
Same female from 10.8.10

Soon after I took these photos more clouds came over (visible from the tongue-flicking photo); not long before it rained again. I called it a day after this and went home, happy to have had a good time and made some nice observations.

It won't be too long now before the snakes start to congregate around hibernation dens; probably less than five weeks. They were around the dens from mid-September last year, so I will be out looking for them even more often before I move away. Hopefully I can find some nice wild areas near uni for next Spring.

I hope you enjoyed reading this and looking my photos. I really enjoyed taking them!
Daniel Kane

Hometown: London

Re: Daniel Kane - Around my Home

Postby Mario Schweiger » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:35 am

Daniel,

yes I enjoyed them very much!
... and I felt free to change the subject title: adding your name in front of the subject.
I have done it at my "around house" too.

I think its a very good idea, members will give some postings of the herps around their homes, so we will see what each of us will have nearby!

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Return to Western Europe