Common Newt in December?

France, British isles

Common Newt in December?

Postby Ilian Velikov » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:33 pm

Today we found this demale L.vulgaria in the garden pond in London! The last couple of days were really cold with some snowfall and the pond was completely frozen but toady it's sunny and much warmer. The newt is bearly alive, so I'm not sure where it came from and what to do with it !? There were no newts breeding in that pond early this year, so it didn't came here in the spring! I don't think it meant to hibernate in the water,either!

PC050924.jpg
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Re: Common Newt in December?

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:02 am

It is not all that unusual for NW European amphibians to display limited activity during winter, although usually this occurs during periods of mild weather. Of course, they won't be moving at top speed, for sure.
The ponds seems to have steep banks? Could it act as a trap? If not, I would just leave the animal be.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Vlad Cioflec » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:27 am

Yeah what Jeroen said :D , plus CONGRATULATIONS for posting the first December herp.
Vlad Cioflec

Hometown: Bucharest

Postby Ilian Velikov » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:42 pm

The ponds seems to have steep banks? Could it act as a trap?

Unfortunately, yes! That's why today I'm taking the newt to a more suitable site with a nice permanent pond where I know there are other newts breeding! The question is should I put it near the pond on dry land or should I put it in the water as we found it? As I mentioned it didn't came here to breed in spring, so maybe it was moving around in some of the warmer days early this summer and just fell in the pond and was trapped there! I don't think it was seeking water, so I'm thinking I'll leave it on dry land!
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Daniel Maar » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:59 pm

good luck for the newt!

i think they don´t hibernate in the water, so i think it has been the best to put him on the land part of the pond.

my latest seen herp has been a Salamandra salamandra in the middle of november ;)
Daniel Maar

Hometown: Nuernberg

Return to Western Europe