First adder of 2011 and its black!

France, British isles

First adder of 2011 and its black!

Postby Paul Lambourne » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:44 am

At last the weather has warmed enough for some decent UK herping.. I went out to some of my usual berus sites on Friday.. a bit tired as I had not long been home from the Canary islands, but I was desperate to see some local snakes..the weather had reached an unbarable 9 degrees and was overcast. I was not hopeful but on site for less than ten minutes and I saw a stunning black berus coiled under blackberry,next to some tin refugia.. I was so excited that my frantic attemps to set my camera up flushed the stunning animal.. I sat thinking that a lesson had been learnt.. even if you are not expecting anything, have your kit sorted! As I progressed around the site I saw another very wary berus basking on a bank, it left when I was still a good distance away..

I headed home very happy and called Illian, we had arranged to meet up on Saturday and I hoped to show him some good sites for berus, Lissotriton helveticus and Triturus cristatus, as these were needed ticks for him.. they are hard to find in Bulgaria!

I picked Illian up and we headed for a number of sites all over Kent,I must admit I did feel a bit of pressure, trying to locate a number of species, to help a friend see new animals and show off some of the herps from my home country (we dont have many ) :D I will let Illian give you the details of the trip in his own report.. I will however leave you with some berus pictures :D
IMG_2847 copy.jpg

IMG_2897 copy.jpg

IMG_2899 copy.jpg

IMG_2895 copy.jpg

IMG_2760 copy.jpg

IMG_2766.JPG

We had a top day.. if anybody is visiting the UK and would like to get some herping in,please feel free to get in touch and meet up.
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Re: First adder of 2011 and its black!

Postby Mario Schweiger » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:56 am

Great !
I will try it here in Salzburg this afternoon. Ground seems to be not frozen since 1 or 2 days - at least around my house.
Weather is cloudy (full overcast) but warm.
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Ilian Velikov » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:50 pm

We did had a top day! Not only that I thicked off two new species but I saw a beautiful black adder! :D And all thanks to Paul who was very kind and took me to this nice spots and even cought the newts for me ! ;) I'll be posting the whole story here soon!
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Ilian Velikov » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:50 pm

I will let Illian give you the details of the trip in his own report..

;) Here it is
http://www.fieldherping.eu/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=644
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:22 pm

WOW!!!
The first pic showed that this is a pretty nice one!!!
Sadly you use the flash light for the next ones.
but anyway pretty cool!!!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Return to Western Europe