Kent, England - March 2011

France, British isles

Kent, England - March 2011

Postby Ilian Velikov » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:45 pm

I’ve been wanting to see some V.berus ever since I came to the UK. Back in Bulgaria they are not that common and are much harder to find, so this species still needed to be thicked off my list! Some days ago I got in touch with Paul who told me he has some nice spots for berus, so we arranged a meeting and were off to the field yesterday! We visited several sites in Kent. http://www.fieldherping.eu/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=643

We arrived at the first site at around 9:30. At first it was still a bit chilly with some wind and we had no luck but it started to warm up quickly and after around 20 minutes we found the first V.berus, basking on a piece of refugia! After that we found another one basking and strangely a third one who unlike the others was just wondering around the field!

First one...
1_berus.JPG

Second...
2_berus.JPG

..and third
3_berus.JPG

The usual Zootoca was also there!
4_zootoca.JPG

Paul also told me that there were some sites for newts nearby, so we decide we’ll go and check them too! We arrived at a patch of forest with some ponds and started newt hunting (well, at least Paul did :) ).

Paul trying his luck with the net…
5_pond.JPG

And it worked! We found all three species of newt native to the UK in one small pond! L.helveticus was also a new species for me so I was pretty excited!

L.vulgaris
6_vulgaris.JPG

L.helveticus
7_helveticus.JPG

8_helveticus.JPG

and T.cristatus
9_cristatus.JPG

10_cristatus.JPG

We left the newts in peace and headed to another of Paul’s berus sites where he had seen a black adder just the day before. By that time there was no sun whatsoever and after a few minutes searching the only thing we found were a couple of A.fragilis!

11_fragilis.JPG

Then, just before we started to leave- there it was!!! :mrgreen:

12_berus.JPG

13_berus.JPG

14_berus.JPG

Not only that I saw a V.berus and L.helveticus for the first time but one of the berus was black! I couldn’t have asked for a better start of the herping year!
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Re: Kent, England - March 2011

Postby Andre Schmid » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:16 pm

Nice ! :D
Andre Schmid

Hometown: Rottweil

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:19 pm

Congrats to your findings!!! Some nice shots!!!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Bobby Bok » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:06 pm

Very nice Illian, I'm still hoping to find such a black adder myself one day!
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Return to Western Europe