Week-end in Alpes-de-Haute-Provence

France, British isles

Week-end in Alpes-de-Haute-Provence

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:19 pm

Last week-end was quite long in France with 4 days free so I moved to South of France, and more exactly in Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, for a short trip which was not dedicated to field herping. The weather was on the whole quite bad with a lot of rain and wind but from time to time, sunrays were piercing the clouds and I could enjoy the luxuriant flora of this region. Below are some pics taken in the plain (for the first image) and in the Alpine foothill:

IMG_9213.JPG

IMG_9246.JPG

IMG_9254.JPG

IMG_9223.JPG

IMG_9231.JPG

As I was driving close to the Montagne de Lure, I had to investigate this area in the hope of finding an Ursini's viper, a snake that I wanted to observe for a long time. I reached the top of the mountain at approximately 2 p.m. As can be seen on the next picture, the sky was really cloudy but fortunately, the wind was moderate and it was not raining when I started to look for Vipera ursinii.

DSCF1212.JPG

Habitat of Vipera ursinii at an altitude of around 1650m

During the first 30 minutes, I found many small grasshoppers and while I was walking along a track, I spotted a greyish creature on a rock, in the middle of Juniperus. It was a juvenile Vipera ursinii, around 15cm long.

DSCF1239.JPG

Juvenile Ursini's viper close to Juniperus (I)

DSCF1238.JPG

Juvenile Ursini's viper close to Juniperus (II)

Its pattern was not particularly contrasting but this was due to two reasons: First, because the snake was involved in a molting process (actually, only the old skin of its head was already removed) and second, mud was covering its body.

DSCF1222.JPG

Vipera ursinii shedding

A few minutes later, it started to rain again revealing the “true” color of this young boy.

IMG_9290.JPG

Top-view of the wet viper

I’ve been extremely lucky to observe this Ursini's viper and to have the time to photograph it. It’s really good news to have found a young specimen in this area. While I was gently manipulating the snake, I was surprised to discover that it was not reluctant to bite with open mouth, and that the snake exhibited a behavior recently described by Mario by V.berus (cf viewtopic.php?f=10&t=767), namely the spontaneous erection of the hemipenes.

Guillaume
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Re: Week-end in Alpes-de-Haute-Provence

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Nice small ursinii!
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Re: Week-end in Alpes-de-Haute-Provence

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:05 am

Congrats, I hope to have the same luck in July!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Return to Western Europe