Herping in Kent, UK.

France, British isles

Herping in Kent, UK.

Postby Martti Niskanen » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:40 pm

Spent a few days in the UK and of course had to do some herping. I contacted Paul to get some info on herp sites in the south, as I'm not familiar with the area. He very kindly offered to take me out to his sites in Kent for adders and newts, so on one morning I drove over for some herping fun with Paul and his friend Trevor. Unfortunately the weather wasn't on our side. There was no direct sunlight and it rained most of the day. Despite that we found eight species of herps, including one lifer for me.

Adder habitat.

Even though the weather was less than perfect, we managed to find this gorgeous female adder. It looked more like Vipera aspis than the adders we get in Finland. Absolutely beautiful.

The site also had some nice orchids:

Fragrant orchid (Gymnadenia conopsea).

White fragrant orchid (Gymnadenia conopsea var. alba).

Common spotted orchid (Dactylorhiza fuchsii).

The weather was getting worse, so we decided to visit a pond which has all three newt species (Lissotriton vulgaris, Lissotriton helveticus and Triturus cristatus). A few dips of the net and we had all three. We took voucher photos and carried on to the next site.

Great crested newt (Triturus cristatus).

Palmate newt (Lissotriton helveticus). A lifer for me.

The weather was getting worse and worse, but we still visited a couple of other sites. Despite the rain, we found a couple of adders, tens of slow-worms and a surprise grass snake.

A huge thank you to Paul and Trevor. The hospitality of herpers towards each other is always impressive and Paul and Trevor spending a day taking me to their herping sites was highly appreciated. I certainly had a great day out (and got a lifer out of it).

Cheers.

Martti
Martti Niskanen

Hometown: Jyvaskyla

Re: Herping in Kent, UK.

Postby Ilian Velikov » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:56 pm

Very nice photos, Martti! I recognize some of this sites although they look a bit different from when Paul took me there - http://www.fieldherping.eu/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=644! The adder sites are great and the pond with the three newt species was exciting, as well! Props to Paul for showing his hospitality again! ;)
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:06 am

Great pics, I`m alway impressed to see a pic with that many Anguis fragilis!

congrats on your lifer!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Paul Lambourne » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:15 am

Martti, and Ilian,

There is no greater pleasure than sharing some field herping with friends.. except maybe Thai twins dressed as cheer leaders....

Its a privalige to be able to show people round some of my local haunts and if you can get a friend a lifer..happy days :D shame the weather is so unpredictable...

Thanks for the shot of me stuffing my face :D

I extend an invitation to anyone visiting the South East of England to get in touch if they fancy visiting some good sites for berus, natrix and newts.

Kind regards

Paul
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Postby Brett Lewis » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:11 pm

I know that Adder site quite well..!

Paul, it would be useful if you could send in any head pattern shots you may have to the recorder of the site as there is a long-term monitoring project going on there and I'm sure he would be grateful of both the general records and the individual encounters. I'm sure you're aware of who he is, but, if not, drop me a note and I'll pass them on for you.

Kind regards,

Brett
Brett Lewis

Hometown: Canterbury

Postby Paul Lambourne » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:35 pm

Brett,

All sightings go onto my monthly survey records for Lee for the KRAG database. I dont often visit the site shown in the trip report very often as it is some distance from my house,and I have better sites close by, but I will check back through my pics and see if anything is suitable.

Can you PM the details of the site you took pictures of the natterjacks,spadefoots and parsley frogs that we discussed..I fancy a quick visit :D

Cheers

Paul
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Postby Peter Oefinger » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:59 am

Hi Martti,

very nice stuff. As far as I can see on the picture, the white "Gymnadenia" for me rather looks like a Dactylorhiza?
Regards
Peter
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Martti Niskanen » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:26 pm

Peter Oefinger wrote: As far as I can see on the picture, the white "Gymnadenia" for me rather looks like a Dactylorhiza?
Regards
Peter

Very possible. I'm rubbish with plants and was relying on what I was told. May well have gotten confused between having been told what they are and posting them here.

-Martti
Martti Niskanen

Hometown: Jyvaskyla

Return to Western Europe