muralis or liolepis

France, British isles

muralis or liolepis

Postby Liam Russell » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:25 pm

I photographed these a few years ago in Provence. I assumed they were Podarcis muralis at the time and didn't think much of it. I was looking at them recently and started wondering if they could be liolepis... I know they can be tricky to separate but any ideas?

Podarcis muralis 2b.JPG

Podarcis muralis 2j.JPG

Podarcis muralis 4a.JPG
Liam Russell

Hometown: Frome

Re: muralis or liolepis

Postby Peter Oefinger » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:34 pm

it is difficult to judge by the pictures - depends there the pictures have been made. Liolepis occurs only at a few places in the Provence.
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Liam Russell » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:12 pm

Peter Oefinger wrote:it is difficult to judge by the pictures - depends there the pictures have been made. Liolepis occurs only at a few places in the Provence.

Hello Peter. The pictures were taken at Les Baux-de-Provence, about 15km northeast of Arles and about 45km inland from Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer.This is east of the Rhone, so I guess must be muralis (should have thought about that earlier...).

Do you have any sources for sites in Provence?
Liam Russell

Postby Peter Oefinger » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:12 pm

To be honest - I can't judge by the pictures. But as far as I know, liolepis occurs only at a few places east of Rhone river - northeast of Arles sounds unlikely to me...
Peter Oefinger

Postby Mario Schweiger » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:17 am

Liam & Peter,

I´m really not specialized in "snake food" ;) , but looking on the map of Podarcis liolepis in Vacher, J.-P. & M. Geniez (2010): Les Reptiles de France, Belgique, Luxembourg et Suisse,
Podarcis liolepis should be distributed in the Arles area, and, nearly everywhere west of Rhone river along the Mediterranean.

map_liolepis.jpg
distribution of Podarcis liolepis in France. Green: common, orange: occurs, red: rare

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Peter Oefinger » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:04 am

According to that map, liolepis doesn't occur in the Department Bouches-du-Rhone where Les Baux is located. The Rhone river seems to be a natural barriere. In the department Drome there are only two locations of liolepis known, both located directly at the shores of Rhone.

For me, the pictures look like muralis: the flanks are significantly darker than the back. At liolepis the ground colouration of back and flanks is rather similar.

Best
Peter
Peter Oefinger

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:16 am

Thank you Liam, now I`m a little bit confused! ;)
I thought that the visual difference between muralis and liolepis is big enough to see it. At first I thought both are muralis, now I think that the individual in the first two pics is a muralis.
But I`m not sure any more about the lizard in the third pic, because I pictured a lizard that looks almost the same like yours, in Northeast Spain.
001aa (6).jpg

same lizard, other view
049.jpg

I don`t saw any muralis in or around the village of Palafrugell, only liolepis.
This Lizard lives at a rockwall beside of a road. I saw there five adult Individuals and one juvenile and they look all like liolepis. At this lizard I thought, it is maybe a special marked liolepis.
Maybe Ulli can help?
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Sandra Panienka » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:08 am

What would be drop dead characteristics for distinguishing between muralis and liolepis? Is there a difference in head scales?
Sandra Panienka

Hometown: Heidelberg

Postby Liam Russell » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:54 am

Jürgen Gebhart wrote:Thank you Liam, now I`m a little bit confused! ;)

No problem Jürgen :lol: Just returning the favour, it was your report that got me wondering about these old pictures again.
Liam Russell

Postby Peter Oefinger » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:23 pm

Sandra Panienka wrote:What would be drop dead characteristics for distinguishing between muralis and liolepis? Is there a difference in head scales?

No drop dead characteristics but a bundle of weak characteristics. see here: http://batrachos.free.fr/identlez.htm#murhis
Another characteristic: at liolepis light dorsolateral usually ends behind the head, at muralis it is often continued on head.

Overall appearance: muralis = bold; liolepis = slender (but difficult to see on photos.
Regards
Peter
Peter Oefinger

Next

Return to Western Europe