Quick euro amphibian trip..

France, British isles

Quick euro amphibian trip..

Postby Paul Lambourne » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:29 pm

Having a few days spare myself and a friend decided to try and scoop some late season amphibians in near Europe.. leaving the tunnel sous la manche at 03:30hrs we drove straight to Belgium, hoping to see some bullfrog action. The weather was absolutely pants, with torrential rain as bad as I have seen in Asia.. ridiculous for Europe.. possibly normal for Belgium, its a strange place...

After a quick hours sleep in the car we started looking around a site close to fish farms and immediately found the typical enormous bullfrog tadpoles.. hundreds of the buggers.. the adults were harder to come by..very skittish jumping into the water long before we got close enough to take pics.. luck and patience eventually paid off and we maneged to get close to a few..
IMG_5147 copy.jpg

well pleased we headed back to the car.. .. we headed to a site for some specific dragonflies, and quickly found our target.. also on site were tree frog, edible frog(I think ) and the very beautiful moor frog...
IMG_5155 copy.jpg

IMG_5170.JPG

We reluctantly left the beautiful marshland site and headed further into darkest Belgium for more dragonflies.. sadly we did not see our target species here, the weather was getting worse, if thats possible..but I did see some rather sexy spiders..
IMG_5204 copy.jpg

Wetter than otters pockets we then drove to the sunny paradise of Holland, here we stopped at an old quarry and found huge numbers of yellow bellied toad, alpine newt, common toad and the usual collection of hard to identify green frogs..
IMG_5183.JPG

IMG_5195.JPG

We then headed further North for some spadefoot hunting..the site was stunning, however as darkness started to fall I assumed I had more chance of dating Cheryl Cole than any spadefoot action, we still found crested newt, more of the green stuff and bufo bufo by the ton.. we headed even further into Holland and checked out another site, by this time it was around two AM and I was quite tired,so we badged up and had a little sleepy in the car till eight..after a delicious breakfast of biscuits and milkshake, we headed to a massive inland dune site for butterflies.. getting our target species within minutes.. well pleased with ourselves we jumped back in the car and decided to brave Belgium again..

We arrived at a park near Brussels and set about locating Siberian chipmonks.. this proved very easy as they were friendlier than a ten dollar ho at closing time.. also at the park on the large ponds were the sadly ubiquitous red earred terrapin.
IMG_5210.JPG

We left the park and headed to another site close by, and after an epic attempt to gain access, involving large amounts of near vertical scrambling we entered another abandoned quarry, here we could hear midwife toads calling, we soon located a beautiful little individual.. and then another.. we also saw good numbers of toads and more green frogs...
IMG_5228 copy.jpg

IMG_5215 copy.jpg

We then embarrassing realised that you could just get in and out via a main gate... so we sheepishly left and headed out of Belgium and into France.. we arrived, after a rather splendid Mc Donalds supper (anything tastes good when you have not eaten properly for two days) at a small reserve near Lille. We walked the steep path through the woodland in the dark, seeing Tawny owls and upon reaching the summit plateau was practically deafened by the sound of natterjacks coming from a small pond, shinning our torches we saw hundreds of these stunning creatures, and many tadpoles..
IMG_5235.JPG

IMG_5241.JPG

Also present in large numbers was a favourite of mine the very cute parsley frog,
IMG_5246 copy.jpg

IMG_5263 copy.jpg

It was midnight so tired, very crumpled and a bit whiffey we decided to head back to blighty.. shit, shampoo and showered, a proper cup of tea, as you continentals cant make the stuff :D then into bed at 4am for some sleep..

it was a most enjoyable few days, huge thanks to the people that gave us some hints of where to look... sadly the spade foot elluded us but I am off to Hungary for vipers in a few weeks,and I might get to tick it then :D

Cheers all.
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Re: Quick euro amphibian trip..

Postby Vlad Cioflec » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:46 pm

Hey Paul,
looks like you had a good trip after all. ;)

I`m droolling over the Moor Frog picture, as it is the last romanian herp i have yet to see for myself. :mrgreen:
Thanks for posting,
Vlad
Vlad Cioflec

Hometown: Bucharest

Postby Daniel Kane » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:23 pm

Nice one Paul! It seems you had a fun time regardless of the downpours. Some nice photos there too. A quick trip to the continent is something which appeals to me; perhaps northern France for species such as Hyla, coronella, aspis and bilineata. That would be cool..
Daniel Kane

Postby Paul Lambourne » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:30 am

Daniel,

Fontainebleau is a great area of France, only three hours from the tunnel, it has all the species you are after, also alpine and marbled newt....

I will be visiting again soon I'm sure :D

Cheers Paul
Paul Lambourne

Postby Sandra Panienka » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:32 pm

Awesome post. Sounds like you had lots of fun. *g* I especially like the little parsley frog. A very cute species that I haven't encountered in the wild so far.
I've never heard of Fontainebleau, sounds like a cool area. I would love to see a marbled newt one day. They look so awesome on pictures, especially the males.
Sandra Panienka

Hometown: Heidelberg

Postby Peter Engelen » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:30 am

You are very lucky finding Rana arvalis there. The just discovered this population in 2009. We even don t know wich is the breeding pond.

Peter
Peter Engelen

Hometown: Dilsen-Stokkem

Postby Paul Lambourne » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:58 am

Peter,

It was a fabulous site, I think the torrential rain helped a lot.. everything amphibian wise was out. We saw two adult arvalis stunning little frogs..
Paul Lambourne

Return to Western Europe