To the rescue!

Russia, Ukraine, Moldova, Belarus

To the rescue!

Postby Vlad Cioflec » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:38 am

In my previous post from Eastern Europe i told you that i couldn`t get all those poor frogs and toads out of the open manholes due to the lack of equipment. Well, this time we came prepared and i went down there with ropes, gloves and buckets. A few hours later a couple of hundreds amphibians from four different species and one smelly fieldherper were free to roam the steppes again.

galeata.JPG
Jelous of my fancy umbrella?!

capcana.JPG
One of the many traps

pel.JPG
Before...

pel fus.JPG
...and after

For more pics, including some snakes and birds please take a look on my brand new blog. The text is in romanian, but the photographs speak for themselves, or at least i sure hope so:
http://fieldherpingromania.wordpress.com/

Happy herping!
Vlad Cioflec

Hometown: Bucharest

Re: To the rescue!

Postby Pierre-Yves Vaucher » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:34 am

WHAT SPECIES YOU FOUND IN THE HOLE ? good job !!
Pierre-Yves Vaucher

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:33 am

Fantastic work Vlad! The problem is that if nobody repair that hole, next year toads will fall in again. Human structures are always the worst enemies of herps!! (roads, funnels, Wells, holes, etc...) They are culpable that densities are lower, lower and finally common species become rare! Maybe you can talk with any public enviornment organism and they may repair it! Some years ago I rescued more than 50 Aytes dickilleni from a single wáter hole, and I talked with a friend and now is changed to avoid the entrance of herps, so they are definitively safe!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gabrimtnez ... 007437601/
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Vlad Cioflec » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:49 am

Oops, forgot to name the species that became prisoners in the most problematic traps from Gagauzia, so here goes:
- Pelobates fuscus by the hundreds :shock: ,
- some Bombina bombina,
- a few Bufo viridis,
- and a couple of big fat Pelophylax ridibundus. They`re just eating machines. ;)
Vlad Cioflec

Hometown: Bucharest

Postby Kevin Byrnes » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:41 pm

Well done Vlad, good work.
Kevin Byrnes

Hometown: Maesteg

Postby Laura Bok » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:37 pm

Well done Vlad, that certainly earned you some good karma ;)! And we learn: Pelobates still looks like a sad clown, even if freshly rescued from a deathtrap. =)

Congrats also to the new blog - the picture of the well-fed Pelophylax is fascinating to scary. Eating machines indeed...

Cheers, Laura
Laura Bok

Hometown: Munich

Postby Gerald Ochsenhofer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:37 pm

:shock:
Great job!

Gabriel Martínez wrote: Human structures are always the worst enemies of herps!! (roads, funnels, Wells, holes, etc...)

I wouldn't say "always", there are defenitely human made structures from which "herps" are benefitting. Just think of the stonewalls around the mediterrenean or ponds in dry areas. And maybe also deforestation (! in europe) had its beneficial effects..
sporadic news -> http://thxalot.net/v2/
Gerald Ochsenhofer

Hometown: Vienna

Return to Eastern Europe