Dalyan, Turkey 2014

Israel, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran, Turkey, Cyprus

Dalyan, Turkey 2014

Postby Thor Hakonsen » Fri May 02, 2014 8:58 pm

It's about time I used some time to get my report in to this forum.

I'll start off with my latest trip - I'm not the best writer, so I will do what I do best - show my photos, with some information. Feel free to ask anything, and I will answer as good as possible.

This time our trip went to the area around Dalyan, Turkey - the target species was Montivipera xanthina and Chamaleo chameleon.
We arrived Dalaman Airport saturday 29.march, and we stayed til 05.april

The reptile species that was most abundant, was Testudo graeca ibera

This specimen, had a missing eye.. but seemed to do well. A big and old specimen - who knows - perhaps he had survived all world wars ?

We did not see to many turtles, but there were some - but I did not use much time on these this year, as we always was on our way to the next potential spot for Xanthina :)

We off course had to stop by the hot spring near the Dalaman Airport, to have a look at the Nile Soft-shell Turtles (Trionyx tringuis) - we also did see some specimens in the Dalyan River

I had some hopes finding Pelobates, but no luck - we did find 3 other species of amphibians

Pelophylax ridibundus

Bufo viridis

Lycasalamandra fazilae

We did see a few Lacerta trilineata in the start of the trip, and I was always thinking that I could get some good shots of them in the end - after I got some cracking shots of the viper
So this is all I got..

Trachylephis aurata were rather common

Two other lizard species was rather common, the small and swift Ophisops elegans

And off cource, the agama (Laudakia stellio)

On a trip to a waterfall north of Köycegiz we found a couple of specimens of Anatololacerta oertzeni. fabolous little creatures. A dream for a photographer, as they almost follow you around :)

In the end, we ended up with 5 species of snakes :

Dolocophis jugularis

Natrix natrix persa

Natrix tesselata

Hemmorhois nummifer

Eirenis modestus

And as nyone can understand from that - we did not find our target species..

This species does not cover up for it, in any way :

Blanus strauchi

So I guess I will be back - or travel to another location with M.xanthina :)
Thor Hakonsen

Hometown: Neskollen

Re: Dalyan, Turkey 2014

Postby Laura Bok » Fri May 02, 2014 11:41 pm

Hey Thor,

I love the area where you have been, so I was very excited to see your report! For me it is especially interesting to see that you can still find the Lycian salamanders so late in the season - was it easy or a lucky shot? The fact that it is probably way easier to also observe reptile activity end of April (as compared to January to February, my usual travel months) let me think of doing a spring trip to the area in the future!

The photos are excellent; I especially like the Pelophylax shot, the Anatololacerta portrait and the second picture of Natrix natrix persa.

Thanks for sharing!
Laura
Laura Bok

Hometown: Munich

Postby Mario Schweiger » Sat May 03, 2014 7:00 am

Excellent shots of all species ;)

@Laura: My (our) best visit for Lyciasalamanda antalyana was on May 8th, 2000 :lol:
There was a bit of rain during the night and in the morning hours (up to approx. 11:00 a.m.) the whole area was steaming.
Best would have been to use a rake to get them. Without exact counting, but some hundred specimens out everywhere. So we saw "the real" population density :lol:

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Peter Oefinger » Sat May 03, 2014 8:22 am

Hi Thor,
Outstanding beautiful pictures.I like the Trachylepis shots as this species can really be tricky to photograph.
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Niklas Ban » Sat May 03, 2014 11:19 am

Very nice photos! :)
Niklas Ban

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Thor Hakonsen » Sat May 03, 2014 2:25 pm

Thanks all,

Laura : We found around 10 specimens on the side of the road up from Itzuzu beach. I would guess it was around 21 o'clock. No rain during our trip, and this was the 5 or 6 day. Night temps this night was around 12-15 degrees.
As for us finding them, it was a lucky shot, as we where on our way back after being on the beach looking for chameleons at nigh time with torches - no luck. So inputs on chameleons in this area would be much appreciated (for a possible later trip).
So before we wen't I was hoping for some rain, to get a better chance to see the salamanders - but in this case we stumbled up on them :)

Peter : Thanks ! I worked a lot getting close to the one in the bushes, laying on my stomach with the ants for about 30 minutes. 30 minutes after this, I found the one on the stone wall - who let me approach with no difficulties. I actually have close up photos with my mobile of that one (the exception that makes the rule)
Thor Hakonsen

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Mon May 05, 2014 4:12 pm

Some nice shot´s, I like the Testuo`s!!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Bobby Bok » Mon May 05, 2014 10:15 pm

Amazing pictures from an amazing place to go herping, and well done on finding fazilae!
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Thor Hakonsen » Tue May 06, 2014 4:03 pm

Thanks Bobby - will try to persuade you for some chameleon spots next time I go there :)
Thor Hakonsen

Postby Martti Niskanen » Tue May 06, 2014 10:14 pm

Great post with some nice photos. Definitely a region to visit some day.
Martti Niskanen

Hometown: Jyvaskyla

Next

Return to Near and Middle East