New Zealand

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

Re: New Zealand

Postby Peter Oefinger » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:02 am

Stunning!
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Re: New Zealand

Postby David Boyle » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:05 am

Don't hate me!

Thanks for all the nice comments - New Zealand does have some stunning reptiles! I would love to see West Coast Green gecko & I've spent quite a bit of time looking for them but with no luck

Bobby - the only island you can get to with Tuataras is Tiritri Matangi, they've only been on there for a few years & Duvaucel's Geckos have also recently been released there. You can stay the night on the island but you need to book well in advance. If you are thinking of visiting New Zealand let me know & I can put you in touch with a friend of mine who goes to Stephens Island a couple of times a year to monitor frogs & takes a few volunteers.

Sorry I don't have photos of Nelson Green Gecko habitat - they're in manuka/kanuka scrub so in theory they shouldn't be that rare, people occasionally see them in their gardens in St Arnaud and cats sometimes bring them in. Took me 8 days searching before I saw one though!
David Boyle

Hometown: London

Previous

Return to Herping in the rest of the world