Sri Lanka 2014 July

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

Sri Lanka 2014 July

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:56 pm

Fuck logic ,worst fieldherper is starting on 2.07 three week long holiday with accommodatin in Hikkaduwa. I will be also in Qatar before midday for several hours so I will hang near airport and in Doha. So far i have inter alia read http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Field-H ... -Reptiles/ , parts of A New Species of Toad (Bufo) Indigenous to Southern Ceylon , AN ECOLOGICAL STUDY OF THE MANGROVE FAUNA IN THE WEST COAST OF SRI LANKA and Expedition Field Techniques REPTILES AND AMPHIBIANS, created using inaturalist a list of amphibians living near Hikkaduwa listed as LC because it is the best method of assessing likelihood of encountering that species I invented
Code: Select all
Microhyla rubra
               ornata
Ramanella variegata
Kaloula taprobanica
Polypedates maculatus
                 cruciger
Bufo scaber
        atukoralei
        melanostictus
Euphlyctis hexadactylus
                  cyanophlyctis
Pseudophilautus popularis
Fejervarya limnocharis
Sphaerotheca rolandae
                     breviceps
Hoplobatrachus crassus

I have of course learned about habitats of these amphibians. In literature there were also
Hemidactylus brookii parvimaculatus
Hydrophis ornatus
Xenochrophis piscator
mentioned to be present in Hikkaduwa.

I am going to visit places recommended by Peter Janzen and:
Ambalangoda
Horton Plains NP
Galle
Yala NP

Have stumbled upon quite funny paper http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/sillymolecule ... appens.pdf I plan to herp at night despite being afraid of being bitten by gangs of wild dogs. Near Hikkaduwa there is Telwatta Bird Sanctuary and 2 lakes, however mangroves are propably destroyed. There are also some ponds according to google maps - https://www.google.pl/maps/place/6%C2%B ... !1s0x0:0x0 I will check them and post in this thread up to date. Daniel Bohle sent me an email with http://www.scharf-links.de/42.0.html?&t ... af2bf69fc1 so I am not taking with me any aquariums, boxes and even net. All advices, links are wellcome, also those regarding photographing herptiles at night.
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Re: Sri Lanka 2014 July

Postby André Van Hecke » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:27 pm

Here my result of a Sri Lanka herping.

http://www.freanonherping.be/fotogalerij.htm

André
André Van Hecke

Hometown: Zoersel

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:00 pm

Thanks for that link Andre. What photo lenses were you using to take these photos?
Yesterday I emailed Wildlife Conservation Society Galle and read inter alia parts of "The Study of the Faunal Diversity In Galle District – Southern, Sri Lanka".
Michal Szkudlarek

Postby André Van Hecke » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:21 pm

Michal,
I use a hybrid digital camera Panasonic fz 200, great camera for herping with macro 1cm and zoom 24x
André Van Hecke

Hometown: Zoersel

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:29 am

So far no reply from Wildlife Conservation Society Galle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6c1c9Ugls0
Last sentence in end credits made me confused if it is only a metaphor. :?
If this movie inspired you to visit sri lanka be careful since you might be arrested for taking a picture of a butterfly.
Michal Szkudlarek

Postby Daniel Bohle » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:44 am

you should not just read the last sentence
Daniel Bohle

Hometown: Berlin

Geckos

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:06 pm

Hemidactylus parvimaculatus:
-from Hikkaduwa

Cnemaspis sp. from Sinharaja Forest Reserve

unidentified gecko from Hikkaduwa

young Hemiphyllodactylus typus from Hikkaduwa

Hemidactylus frenatus:
-from Colombo

-from Hikkaduwa

male on the left, female on the right
Michal Szkudlarek

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:44 am

What are now best hours to herp? 7-9am and after 5pm?
Michal Szkudlarek

Postby Ruggero M. » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:28 am

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:What are now best hours to herp? 7-9am and after 5pm?

When I was in Sri Lanka, the monitor lizards (and huge crocodiles) were easy to see during the day in Yala and Bundala.
But I met only two snakes, both at dusk: they were an Oligodon in Yala, and a beautiful young Ptyas mucosus in the park of my last hotel in Colombo, near the international airport. I think the hotel name was probably "Negombo International Airport Hotel", located in the middle of a swamp territory not far from the airport.
A worker of this hotel in Colombo told me that was easy to spot "cobras" (? maybe cobras maybe not...) during the early morning hours on the hotel park main road (probably basking or simply resting): but, unfortunately for me, I had no more time left to observe those "early morning" snakes basking on the hotel park road! :cry:
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:29 am

V. bengalensis are easy to find basking by the hotel pool. V. salvator were seen too. So far I have photographed 2 wild snakes, both in Horton Plains NP. When I was asking about snakes people tell me that there are no snakes around. I think they say like this because they think that I am afraid of them and I would run away if they told me that there are some. Local people here are generally afraid of them. Today I was walking along railroad tracks at 7am and only young Calotes versicolor spotted. By the main road there are dogs, cats and noisy traffic, I found no snakes there, only twice gray Calotes versicolor adult on handrail.
Michal Szkudlarek

Next

Return to Herping in the rest of the world