USA Westcoast 2014

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

Re: USA Westcoast 2014

Postby Maarten Gilbert » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:15 pm

Not bad at all! Impressive collection of salamander and garter snake species. Congrats on finding tailed frog and horned lizard! Such unique creatures and not easy to find (I learned that the hard way)... Nice to see some familiar scenery as well 8-)
Maarten Gilbert

Hometown: Driebergen

Postby Bobby Bok » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:16 pm

Wow, huge thanks everyone for all these lovely comments! We indeed had an amazing three weeks there and we would have wanted to stay longer for sure! Herping was hard and I was amazed by the sheer number of species we found along the way. I can imagine these places must be heaven in early spring. *thinking of a magical Giant Salamander evening like we have here in Europe with Fire Salamanders :D * In general I thought it was way easier to spot wildlife than here in Europe with deer and skunks just next to the tent, whales, elephant seals and sea otters easily spotted from random coastal lookouts, walking into a bear and seeing several small mammalians on the road in the desert.

Paul, we had to google the Betamax...

Thomas, would love to! Thanks for the invitation and would be more than happy to give a presentation about our adventure. Really loved it this year!

Jeroen, eventough we were in the range for at least one Hydromantes species, we did not spend (and possibly waste) a lot of time trying to find them. Afterwards I learned of a nice waterfall that holds a decent population of Cope's Giant Salamander and lots of Torrent Salamanders in summer. On top of that; someone who found a Three-horned Chameleon in his garden in Morro Bay as recent as this year. Torment ;)
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Ronald Zimmerman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:23 pm

I finished reading the report :) Great places, great creatures and photos!
The Rubber Boa looks funny. What sound does it make when you squeeze? :P
Coastal Horned Lizard (WOW)!
'Red-eared Sliders (Trachemys scripta) with a bad tolerance against the highly eutrophied water' :lol: :lol: :lol:
Desert Spiny Lizard.. Love the colors :)
Sidewinder looks awesome!
Woodhouse's Toads look sad.. ;)

You had a great and successful trip together! :D
Feel free to follow/Like my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ronaldzimmerman.nl/
Ronald Zimmerman

Hometown: Haarlem

Postby Bobby Bok » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:59 am

Glad you like it mate, will start reading your Malaysia report now.

Ronald Zimmerman wrote: The Rubber Boa looks funny. What sound does it make when you squeeze? :P

No sound, only shit.
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Previous

Return to Herping in the rest of the world