Dhofar Oman 2014

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

Re: Dhofar Oman 2014

Postby Thomas Bader » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:13 pm

Excellent jürgen! Good finds great shots, love the chamaeleon
And: from three ever found individuals of r. Arabicus two were found by you!?
Thomas Bader

Hometown: Vienna

Postby Thomas Reich » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:58 pm

Jürgen Gebhart wrote:And then, I don`t know why, maybe because I`m old, I ask Thomas Reich from Switzerland if he want to come with me

Maybe because you needed someone who finds the snakes? ;)

Peter Oefinger wrote:Great: looks like a no sleep - no food - plenty of cigarettes - lot of fun - trip!

There was a Swiss person that slowed Jürgen down...

Here's a first pic from me (probably more to come):
naja.jpg
Naja arabica entering its retreat.

We found this adult Cobra at night on a gravel road. Unfortunately this was the moment we were not prepared for it. :cry: Due to a traffic accident (yes, Jürgen was driving, but no, it was not his fault) we had to change our car shortly before and didn't yet re-sort our gear. So while the alerted snake moved back to its retreat quickly, it needed us some time to find our torches. Jürgen didn't have his snake tong ready and I didn't dare to catch the Cobra by gloves. => Great disappointment.
Thomas Reich

Hometown: Switzerland

Postby Bobby Bok » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:56 am

Gutted to see you missed the cobra but what an amazing trip to this stunning region! As to be expected the chameleons are my favourite but the variety of geckos, Uromastyx, Echis and the mudskippers are also great.

I am still searching for an interesting destination for next years summer and as always I have too many ideas. But Oman (and especially Dhofar) is high on my wishlist. You think going there in July or August is worth it? I know that is also in the middle of the Khareef and I thought that would be good but you sound not so convinced?
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:50 pm

Thomas Bader wrote:And: from three ever found individuals of r. Arabicus two were found by you!?

Yes, you are right Thomas!
I wish I was also a member of the Crew in Yemen 1933! ;)
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:52 pm

Bobby Bok wrote:I am still searching for an interesting destination for next years summer and as always I have too many ideas. But Oman (and especially Dhofar) is high on my wishlist. You think going there in July or August is worth it? I know that is also in the middle of the Khareef and I thought that would be good but you sound not so convinced?

I` m far away from being an expert of Oman herping, but If I have a choice between the dry Season (Apri, Mai) and the after Kareef season, I take the dry season, because of the higher activity of Herps.
And I will never take the high Kareef Season (July, August), not as it is for a present.
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:05 pm

Good stuff!!!
My main 2015 destination is, however, much more wet ;) (and richer in species :twisted: ).
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Bobby Bok » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:44 pm

Jürgen Gebhart wrote:
Bobby Bok wrote:I am still searching for an interesting destination for next years summer and as always I have too many ideas. But Oman (and especially Dhofar) is high on my wishlist. You think going there in July or August is worth it? I know that is also in the middle of the Khareef and I thought that would be good but you sound not so convinced?

I` m far away from being an expert of Oman herping, but If I have a choice between the dry Season (Apri, Mai) and the after Kareef season, I take the dry season, because of the higher activity of Herps.
And I will never take the high Kareef Season (July, August), not as it is for a present.

That sounds contradictionary but good to know!
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:16 pm

It's once again really interesting to see the colour variations by Echis in this part of the world. The experience with Naja must be terribly frustrating... By the way, do you know if Uraeus arabicus is commonly accepted? What is the status at the moment?
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Postby miguel santos » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:56 am

[/quote]

We found them at around 10:00 a.m., if I remeber right it was the only morning without clouds or fog, Temperatures around 28 Degrees.[/quote]

Good to know, I think I might have missed the Uromastyx in Morocco because I had mist and clouds on the areas where I expected them. Next time better, and once again : well done guys.
Miguel
miguel santos

Hometown: maastricht

Postby Mario Schweiger » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:03 am

Guillaume Gomard wrote:By the way, do you know if Uraeus arabicus is commonly accepted? What is the status at the moment?

Until now, I've never seen, using gen. Uraeus WAGLER, 1830 for the non spitting african cobras. A genus reestablished by Wallach, Williams & Boundy (2014).
Personally, I will follow Wüster et al., 2007 (PDF-7167) and Trape et al., 2009 (PDF-1814).

The splitting by Wallach et al. (not only the cobras) reminds me a bit to R. Hoser.
Not every clade has to be a different genus or species :lol:

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

PreviousNext

Return to Herping in the rest of the world