Postby Paul Bachhausen » Mon May 18, 2015 10:54 am

Thanks, very interesting report!
Mertensiella - my favorites.
Paul
Paul Bachhausen

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Re: Tripreport NE Turkey spring 2015

Postby Mario Schweiger » Mon May 18, 2015 11:02 am

great reports and pictures Laura & Bobby!

As I told you, especially the humid northern parts of Turkey might be frustrating because of peoples calling for police.
But you did it well ;)

Very good, to see all this nice landscapes I remember well after now 15 years of not have been being there!

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Peter Oefinger » Mon May 18, 2015 11:16 am

Interesting report. I have to admit I had a more romantic imagination about the nature in this part of Turkey. :?
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon May 18, 2015 11:51 am

Terrific result for just 2 people! I'm obviously biased but I think the manders beat the vipers in beauty :P
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Pablo Deschepper » Mon May 18, 2015 12:15 pm

Wow, great report! And beautiful kaznakovi! I think it must glow in the dark

Grtz,
Pablo
Pablo Deschepper

Hometown: Erps

Postby Bobby Bok » Mon May 18, 2015 2:16 pm

Thanks a lot for the replies everyone!

Sjuul Verhaegh wrote:No shotguns this time? :D

We only seem to get shot in the more touristy places :lol:

Mario Schweiger wrote:As I told you, especially the humid northern parts of Turkey might be frustrating because of peoples calling for police.
But you did it well ;)

Very good, to see all this nice landscapes I remember well after now 15 years of not have been being there!

Mario

The northern part of our route I would also skip for a future visit. Great species but having to deal with so many police officers and locals that don't speak a word of English drains the fun out of the herping. The landscapes were fantastic but so much nature is being ruined. Some of your spots (Phrynocephalus) are also agricultural land now :(

Peter Oefinger wrote:Interesting report. I have to admit I had a more romantic imagination about the nature in this part of Turkey. :?

Me too! There are still fantastic areas but human presence is everywhere...

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Terrific result for just 2 people! I'm obviously biased but I think the manders beat the vipers in beauty :P

Oh the moment we found the first Caucasian Salamander might have been also the highlight ;) The woods were bone dry so very little activity but when we decided to crawl under a narrow viaduct/bridge with water running through it I had the honour of finding the first salamander. Bigger than I expected, brighter colouration than I expected and clinging to the walls like a giant Chioglossa. Moments like that make your heart skip a beat! Always great to find something entirely new! Afterwards we knew we had to search in moist seepages and we found several more.

Pablo Deschepper wrote:Wow, great report! And beautiful kaznakovi! I think it must glow in the dark

That is exactly what we thought when it escaped the first time we found it. Luckily we found it back :)
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Paul Lambourne » Mon May 18, 2015 3:11 pm

Bobby an outstanding report..as expected... and Laura such fantastic pictures,beautifully lit as ever (I must chat with you at the weekend to find out how you do it :D ) I particularly liked the long exposure salamander pic.. very biggi/trappesque :D

Such a high standard of reports and photographs on the forum of late... great to see.

Cheers

Paul
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Postby miguel santos » Mon May 18, 2015 3:14 pm

What a great report guys,
I like a lot the mean looking vipers and Laura's shot of the salamander with the running water.
I would not nike to go to an area where people call the police for a parked car. I can only supose they have bad experiences with people from outside the area....
Good that you both got back safely and with lots of pics to tell the story.

Miguel
miguel santos

Hometown: maastricht

Postby Matthijs Hollanders » Mon May 18, 2015 4:02 pm

Great pics guys!
Matthijs Hollanders

Hometown: Wageningen

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon May 18, 2015 5:54 pm

Paul Lambourne wrote:very biggi/trappesque :D

:lol:

Paul Lambourne wrote:Such a high standard of reports and photographs on the forum of late... great to see.

Yes! Someone please save something for next winter ;)

miguel santos wrote:I would not nike to go to an area where people call the police for a parked car. I can only supose they have bad experiences with people from outside the area....

What is indeed the true cause? Some politicians feeding xenophobia based on (unfortunately somewhat true) stories of poached animals? I also find it hard to believe that these people are really that concerned about the so-called issue...
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

PreviousNext

Return to Near and Middle East