Two spiders from Cres

Section for insects, spiders, scorpions, etc.

Two spiders from Cres

Postby Ruggero M. » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:16 am

I've no idea about spider species. I can only say, the first specimen was a rather "big" spider... :?

big spider1.jpg
First spider

detail1.jpg
Detail
detail1.jpg (212.25 KiB) Viewed 8342 times

spider2.jpg
Second spider

detail2.jpg
Detail

Both spiders were found in "garriga habitat", and the second spider seemed to me to be very common.
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Re: Two spiders from Cres

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:34 am

I would say that at least the first one was a Lycosa tarantula, quite common on Krk,
so why not on Cres as well.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Ruggero M. » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:36 am

Berislav Horvatic wrote:I would say that at least the first one was a Lycosa tarantula, quite common on Krk,
so why not on Cres as well.

Thanks, Bero! :)
Ruggero M.

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:49 am

But it's relatively easy to lure them out of their holes, so I wonder why you didn't try.
One just picks a culm of grass with a spikelet, wets the spikelet with saliva, and offers
it to the spider. It might take some patience, but usually the spider bites the lure and
gets pulled out of its den. Then you cover the entrance with a small stone or something,
to prevent it rushing back, and the spider is at your mercy for a decent photo-session.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Ruggero M. » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:04 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:But it's relatively easy to lure them out of their holes, so I wonder why you didn't try.
One just picks a culm of grass with a spikelet, wets the spikelet with saliva, and offers
it to the spider. It might take some patience, but usually the spider bites the lure and
gets pulled out of its den. Then you cover the entrance with a small stone or something,
to prevent it rushing back, and the spider is at your mercy for a decent photo-session.

I didn't know the saliva trick.
I've tried only with a spikelet of grass, as I've seen in documentaries about tarantulas of south America, but the spider came out only for few millimeters, as you can see in the picture... :roll:
Ruggero M.

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:19 pm

I didn't know the saliva trick. I've tried only with a spikelet of grass, ...

Spiders are no vegetarians, so why should they bite into a dry spikelet? But saliva smells and tastes
like FOOD, it's an animal's excretion. It also offers WATER, a precious thing in hot days. (And is also
always "at hand" (to us), unlike salami or cheese or something...)
I learned the trick from a shepherd on the island of Krk, many years ago, and it works. Many thanks
to him, not only for that.
Actually I've also tried to lure them with the best and most expensive salami produced in Croatia as
well, but the spiders just failed to recognize that as FOOD... to THEIR taste. No wonder.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Robert Madl » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:12 pm

The second spider is Agelena labyrinthica with its typical funnel web in the gras.

Robert
Robert Madl

Hometown: Frankfurt

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:29 pm

Robert Madl wrote:The second spider is Agelena labyrinthica with its typical funnel web in the gras.

Quite so, I would say, inasmuch as one can discern from the photos presented here.
Also quite abundant in the area - I've seen quite a lot of them on the neighbouring
island of Krk.
Berislav Horvatic

Return to Invertebrates section