Sumatra 2015

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

Sumatra 2015

Postby Neil Rowntree » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:45 pm

Hello all,

I've recently returned from 3 weeks in Sumatra - a mix of holiday and herping (although they mean the same thing to me). Here's a few photos:

DSCF3277a.JPG
DSCF3241a.JPG
red-sided keelback
DSCF3437a.JPG
painted bronzeback
DSCF3324a.JPG
red-tailed racer

Full report is here http://northumberlandexplorer.weebly.co ... -2015.html

Neil
http://northumberlandexplorer.weebly.com/
Neil Rowntree

Hometown: Newcastle

Re: Sumatra 2015

Postby Paul Lambourne » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:48 pm

Neil

A great report, with some outstanding pictures.. you ticked one of my favourite snakes ..the Waglers..the head on those is amazing..and love the climbing toads..stunning.

Love that part of the world..on my list to return if I ever finish this damn Euro list!

Cheers

Paul
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Postby Niklas Ban » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:54 pm

Nice trip and thanks for sharing! The Orangutan and Tropidolaemus wagleri i liked most! :)
Niklas Ban

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Ruggero M. » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:38 pm

Never tought that B.flaviceps could reach this huge size! :o

Was it staying motionless or was it in movement when you saw it on the river bank? Was it easy to grab it by the neck? I know from personal experience in the Andamans that Bungarus sp. can make strange, quick and sudden body movements if grabbed by the tail: strange, "jerky" and potential dangerous (for us herpers) movements I never saw in other snakes.
But I've no experience with living flaviceps: I've only seen a beautiful DOR specimen in Borneo.
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Frédéric Seyffarth » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:41 pm

Hello,
Be patient for your mangrove cat snake, i saw my first after four travel, and after that, i saw so many at each new travel! You just have to be lucky :D
Nice pics!
Frédéric Seyffarth

Hometown: Husseren-Wesserling

Postby Neil Rowntree » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Cheers folks,

Paul - The 'garden' area I mentioned in the report was full of Wagler's - adults usually at a height where only white coils and a big head could be seen - but we had good fun seeing how many we could tally in one night. I'm itching to get back over there already, so many amazing snakes! Don't think i'd have the patience for a Euro list, is the end in sight?

Ruggero - I was not expecting a krait to be that sort of build either - it was a monster! It was found motionless half hidden under some bushes by our guide who had little fear of anything, then it made for the river. Catching was a two-person job - It did thrash around initially (and I guess the venom factor makes its movements seem extra jerky and dangerous). Had it been just me I'd have left it alone. We were able to control its upper body with one hook and its neck with another. It calmed down once the head was pinned.

Frédéric - You are lucky (well, maybe not the first 4 times!). Which was your favourite snake-searching country in SE Asia?

Neil
http://northumberlandexplorer.weebly.com/
Neil Rowntree

Hometown: Newcastle

Postby Paul Lambourne » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:27 pm

Neil,

A garden of Waglers sound amazing! As for the list.. its getting there..I'm 153 out of 210 (ish) I have a few more trips this year, so hopefully will finish the year on around 165, and I plan to really concentrate next year and aim to finish on around 200. .. then mop up whats left :D leave,girlfriend and money permitting!

Cheers Paul
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Postby Bastien Comment » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:18 pm

Very nice report and pictures, thanks a lot for sharing! :D
Bastien Comment

Hometown: Lausanne

Postby Pablo Deschepper » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:07 pm

Thanks for sharing! Nice pictures
Pablo Deschepper

Hometown: Erps

Postby Frédéric Seyffarth » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:41 am

Hello Neil,

My favorite places are Cameron Highland in Peninsular Malaysia and the Kinabatangan River on Borneo. Kubah NP is a great place too!
But to be honest, it is more because i have some good experiences from these places, i think all places in S-Asia are rewarding for a herp-lover.

Regards!

Fred
Frédéric Seyffarth

Hometown: Husseren-Wesserling

Next

Return to Herping in the rest of the world