something, we have to ignore!

The place for new fieldguides and discussions on books on field herpetology, description and discussion on new (sub)species, etc.

Re: something, we have to ignore!

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:17 pm

Fun stuff, Guillaume. I particularly like n° 11.

Unfortunately, there's also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anophthalmus_hitleri
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Martti Niskanen » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:00 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:
Martti Niskanen wrote:taxonomic naming rules

There's no such thing. Fortunately, taxonomy and nomenclature (= the names business) are (fairly) separate branches. But it's true that he's abusing the ICZN.

I mean the ICZN "code". Flawed, but that's where we're at.

Also, if Hoser would have named the species after himself, it would've been described with the proper, patronymic -i.

Being pedantic, sorry. Anyway, he's still an idiot.
Martti Niskanen

Hometown: Jyvaskyla

Postby Borji Heras » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:27 am

Beyonceae ? He has won me
Borji Heras

Hometown: bilbao

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:19 am

Martti Niskanen wrote:Also, if Hoser would have named the species after himself, it would've been described with the proper, patronymic -i.

True. At least he got that right ;)
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:20 am

Borji Heras wrote:Beyonceae ? He has won me

Not his.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Martti Niskanen » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:10 pm

On a lighter note. Anyone not familiar with http://www.curioustaxonomy.net , check it out. Some gems in there and generally a good site.
Martti Niskanen

Hometown: Jyvaskyla

Postby Raymond Hoser » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:38 am

Dear all,
May I remind people that personal insults are both unscientific and prohibited in the rules and recommendations of the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature, which for those not familiar with the document is now available online.
As for the various species in the relevant viper complex that are subject of this thread, I should note that I did not in fact discover them all, but have merely synthesized a large body of available scientific evidence to conclude the obvious.
The various species are separated from one another by DNA, morphology and distribution, which as far as these things go is as good as it gets! Complaints by non-scientists as to the format of each description and similarities between them demonstrates ignorance of the rules and requirements when naming new taxa and the need to separate these from similar taxa.
If someone can raise a scientific argument to the effect that the DNA backing the new species is wrong, or something similar, then all my names can and should be ignored, and same for the other two names I resurrected from synonymy as previously proposed and used by other authors unconnected to myself.
However in the absence of scientific rebuttal, all species formally named in that paper will have to be recognized.
That I was the person privileged in naming the taxa is not something to get upset or personal over. As noted on the ICZN’s own forums, who is the “name authority” is not significant in terms of taxonomy. It is merely important that taxa carry proper names.
As an irrelevant aside, I note that the coined name Malayopython from 2013 or thereabouts is an invalid and illegal name on several grounds, including that it was not validly published according to the rules of the Zoological Code and is therefore unavailable.
In any event, even if it were to be made available by some means, it is a junior synonym of the correct name Broghammerus Hoser, 2004, and thus still invalid and illegal to be used and while rule breakers may seek to use the incorrect name, genuine scientists will use the correct code compliant name at all times and this is seen even now with most recent publications still using Broghammerus in preference of the invalid name and in the face of a significant campaign by various rule breakers, such as Wuster and Schleip.
The same applies for Leioipython hoserae, Hoser, 2000 versus Schleip’s coined name, the correct name from year 2000 being used about 3 times more frequently than the illegal Schleip name.
Finally, I am not the first person to name species or genera after family members and noting that my wife and mother have both made globally significant contributions to herpetology and the conservation of endangered species, it was entirely proper that they be honoured with taxa named after them.
It is clearly a case of sour grapes by less worthy people who have not made significant contributions (or as significant) who complain loudly about these patronyms.
All the best
Raymond Hoser (The snake man)
Raymond Hoser

Hometown: London

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:21 pm

Congratulations on discovering a meaningless forum thread. I’m sure it fits the conduct of the true scientist to scan internet fora and engage in this type of discussion.

Raymond Hoser wrote:May I remind people that personal insults are both unscientific and prohibited in the rules and recommendations of the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature

Concerning what is written here, maybe you would like the ICZN to rule the world, but this is an internet forum.

But your reminder is in fact great news. In the ‘paper’ we are talking about you use e.g. the term “animal-hating pseudo-scientists” (to refer to PhD scientists, but that’s not even my point). As factual as this may be to you, no one uses this kind of offensive language in scientific papers. Thus, I thank you for pointing out that this ‘paper’ is in violation with the ICZN, so we can all relax and continue to ignore it.

g's,

The salamander man.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Mario Schweiger » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:56 am

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:........ so we can all relax and continue to ignore it.

g's,

The salamander man.

+1 ;)

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Thor Hakonsen » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:21 am

Mario Schweiger wrote:
Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:........ so we can all relax and continue to ignore it.

g's,

The salamander man.

+1 ;)

Mario

There is a tv-show called "Everybody Loves Raymond", that is not valid in the herpetology community. By good reasons..
Thor Hakonsen

Hometown: Neskollen

PreviousNext

Return to Reading Room