Hi, guys!

The admin would like to ask all our members to give a short introduction of themselves here - also please include a picture of yourself, so we will recognize you in the field.

Hi, guys!

Postby Lennart Schmid » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:01 pm

Hi there, my name is Paul and I live in Heidelberg, Germany.
As a kid I was always the one annoying the others with the frogs or lizard ive caught, which lead to my hobby: keeping reptiles as pets. I had a freckled monitor and overall 5 flying geckos, but unfortunately after accidentaly bringing in a virus with a new gecko female, all of my animals died. After that sad event i began thinking about animals again and i began to realise, that watching them in their natural habitats is a more natural and non harmfull way to experience them. So I began searching for them. After a friend of mine showed me the habitat of some zamenis longissimus along the neckar river i bought my first DSLR camera, and that kicked of the passion for wildlife photography.

After beginning to herp in june last year, i left germany in september to go backpacking in australia for 2 months with my girlfriend. My favorite finds over there were the monitor lizards of course, as ive had one as a pet myself. Its just something about them, making them appear so magestic and smart that fascinates me so much.

After my trip i bought my next DSLR (a full frame :) )

Afterall i just cant wait for the reptiles and amphibians to come out this year, its just such an increadible feeling if you actually find a new species, you haven´t seen before.
So thank you guys for your comments in advance, its really great to be a part in this forum! :) :) :)
Lennart Schmid

Hometown: Heidelberg

Re: Hi, guys!

Postby Alexandre Roux » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:12 pm

Welcome Paul !

That's always a special pleasure for me to see pictures of Australian reptiles and amphibians as it reminds me of my backpacking time last year... so good... :)
Alexandre Roux
Flickr Gallery
Alexandre Roux

Hometown: Beynost

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:44 pm

Welcome Paul and thanks for the presentation, your shot of monitor lizard is great. Feel free to feed us with some additional Aussie pics (herps, insects, landscapes, etc.), I think I am not the only one interested here ;)
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Postby Aleksandar Simovic » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:24 pm

Welcome Paul!
Aleksandar Simovic

Hometown: Belgrade

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:32 pm

Paul Aiscan wrote:Afterall i just cant wait for the reptiles and amphibians to come out this year,
its just such an increadible feeling if you actually find a new species, you haven´t seen before.
So thank you guys for your comments in advance, its really great to be a part in this forum! :) :) :)

Yes, it is, and you're most welcome. Just, as a newcommer, may I friendly warn you not to expect information
about the best places to find this-or-that revealed in public, because noone will answer you like that via this forum. Whoever trusts you, will certainly help you with that, but via a "personal message" only. Of course
we can not stop poachers and other "bad guys" like that 100%, but we still do our best to make it as difficult
for them as possible. Let them sweat as much as possible, at least.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Lennart Schmid » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:37 pm

Yes, it is, and you're most welcome. Just, as a newcommer, may I friendly warn you not to expect information
about the best places to find this-or-that revealed in public, because noone will answer you like that via this forum. Whoever trusts you, will certainly help you with that, but via a "personal message" only. Of course
we can not stop poachers and other "bad guys" like that 100%, but we still do our best to make it as difficult
for them as possible. Let them sweat as much as possible, at least.

Your right about that, so sorry.
In the end the best thing for all of us is when the animals are safe.
I recall having some hard times over finding some zamenis habitat destroyed by someone. I havent found a single snake in that area afterwards. I have no idea what hapened, if the snakes were taken away, or if the snakes left because they felt unsafe, but it just grinds my gears really bad.
Lennart Schmid

Hometown: Heidelberg

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:54 pm

Your right about that, so sorry.

You have no reason to be sorry, if you are in the right track, which I hope/believe you are.
So, feel free to ask publicly, but expect the answers only in private, that's all. E.g., I could
direct you to my best Vipera ursinii habitat, if you ask me, but I would never advertise it to
the "enemy", no way.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:02 pm

Hello Paul! I like monitor lizards as well, they are my favourite lizards, you can see my pictures of monitor lizards in proper thread on this forum about my trip to Sri Lanka.
Good Evening
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Return to Introduce yourself