A&R guide Speybroeck et al. - review it!

The place for new fieldguides and discussions on books on field herpetology, description and discussion on new (sub)species, etc.

A&R guide Speybroeck et al. - review it!

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:06 pm

Well now...

I am arrogantly guessing that over the next weeks, our book will find its way to the shelves of many of you. I would like to start a new thread to collect your thoughts. I am not going to mind a few compliments :P , but it would be of interest to us to learn about flaws you might spot or any ideas you might have for a revision we might do some day. Of course, it's very weird to ask this already now, but ever so often somebody spots something and then forgets about it, so here it is. After all, you guys and gals are the elite of the reader audience we aimed at, so your opinions are dear to us. ;)

I'm going to kick this off with a highly narcissistic move, inserting this short but sweet review from BBC Wildlife Magazine. :mrgreen:

A&R Review.JPG
A&R Review.JPG (152.59 KiB) Viewed 11160 times
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Re: A&R guide Speybroeck et al. - review it!

Postby Ilian Velikov » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:58 pm

Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:05 pm

Well, yes, obviously the idea is to have this thread in place before all hell breaks loose ;)
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Ilian Velikov » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:11 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Well, yes, obviously the idea is to have this thread in place before all hell breaks loose

Sure, I just wanted to give a little sneak preview. I guess I'm too impatient to hear what people think about it ;)
Ilian Velikov

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:29 pm

The last illustrated field guide to European reptiles and amphibians was first published 38 years ago, and
remains outdated despite occasional reprints and new editions. This major new field guide addresses this
deficiency.

What about Axel Kwet 2005 (Deutsch) & 2009 (English)?
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:31 pm

I can't browse any preview pages starting from this link. Am I too stupid, too old, or what?
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:31 am

Berislav Horvatic wrote:

I can't browse any preview pages starting from this link. Am I too stupid, too old, or what?

Same with me...
Btw Jeroen I did not know that you have PhD. Congratulations!!
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Ilian Velikov » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:43 am

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Ilian Velikov wrote:
I guess it's difficult to review when the book is not out yet. For those of you who haven't seen much of it, here you can browse some of the pages:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=rym ... &q&f=false

Same with me...

I don't know why it doesn't work for you guys...? What happens when you click the link? What do you see on the screen?

If you're using another browser try opening the link with Chrome. If you don't have chrome just try typing "the book title + Google Books" in Google search engine and it should come up.
Ilian Velikov

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:54 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote:
Michal Szkudlarek wrote:Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Ilian Velikov wrote:
I guess it's difficult to review when the book is not out yet. For those of you who haven't seen much of it, here you can browse some of the pages:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=rym ... &q&f=false

Same with me...

I don't know why it doesn't work for you guys...? What happens when you click the link? What do you see on the screen?

If you're using another browser try opening the link with Chrome. If you don't have chrome just try typing "the book title + Google Books" in Google search engine and it should come up.
Attachments
screencapture-books-google-pl-books-about-Field_Guide_to_the_Amphibians_and_Reptil-html-1468417926061.png
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Ilian Velikov » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:23 pm

I have no idea why it appears like that. I thought Bloomsbury might have allowed preview only in the UK (which wouldn't make much sense) but then I opened it with Google Poland and I can still browse it there.

Here's the link, try this:

https://books.google.pl/books?id=rymmDAAAQBAJ&pg=PT429&lpg=PT429&dq=amphibians+and+reptiles+of+britain+and+europe+speybroeck&source=bl&ots=3KGoxts3fx&sig=jksaCXeUdj9oQPsgZVRIwCV_YYY&hl=pl&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjhrseQ7PDNAhWJBcAKHdXWBTAQ6AEIPzAE#v=onepage&q=amphibians%20and%20reptiles%20of%20britain%20and%20europe%20speybroeck&f=false
Ilian Velikov

Next

Return to Reading Room