A&R guide Speybroeck et al. - review it!

The place for new fieldguides and discussions on books on field herpetology, description and discussion on new (sub)species, etc.

Re: A&R guide Speybroeck et al. - review it!

Postby Kevin Byrnes » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:53 pm

Well, if that is the preview, then I am certainly looking forward to the book arriving on my doorstep. The pages shown were packed full of useful information with good photographs and will be a valued asset to anybody interested in field herpetology, suiting both the beginner and the more experienced person. I wish I could have had this book a few years ago when my interest in the subject took a more serious turn, it is destined be a constant companion as I travel throughout Europe for the next few years filling in the checklist.
Kevin Byrnes

Hometown: Maesteg

Postby Joshua Smith » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:50 pm

My copy arrived today and, having read a good portion of it, I can only congratulate the writers - an excellent publication.

It's impressively comprehensive and informative, I've been surprised at how much I've learned which is nice, and the ID guides have already come in useful in solving a few old arguments over past sightings, so thanks for that!
Personally I've come across no issues or error in the text at all, not that I'd necessarily have noticed, so no gripes there. I honestly struggle to find anything at all to complain about (which, believe me, is unusual).

I have been reduced to spending a couple of hours combing through past field notes to see how much of the checklist at the front I can fill in, a humbling exercise at best.
Once again, congratulations!
Joshua Smith

Hometown: Colchester

Postby Clive Brignull » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:45 pm

Looking at the book preview checklist I seem to have three additional species to this. 1:- Greek or Balkan marsh frog Pelophylax kurmuelleri , found in the Peloponnese. 2:- Belearic green toad Bufotes belearicus ,( not B.viridis ) found in Menorca. 3:-Berber toad Amietophrynus mauritanicus (introduced and established ?) southern Spain. ???
Clive Brignull

Hometown: Braintree

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:22 pm

Clive Brignull wrote:Looking at the book preview checklist I seem to have three additional species to this. 1:- Greek or Balkan marsh frog Pelophylax kurmuelleri , found in the Peloponnese. 2:- Belearic green toad Bufotes belearicus ,( not B.viridis ) found in Menorca. 3:-Berber toad Amietophrynus mauritanicus (introduced and established ?) southern Spain. ???

What's the basis of "your checklist"? Have you read Speybroeck et al. (2010)? I'll play nice and explain ;) (again...), eventhough we have discussed these 3 cases on this forum already at length, and although I'm too lazy to dig up the references - see our 2010 paper.

* Pelophylax kurtmuelleri (not restricted to the Peloponnese, but occupying all of Greece, except the NE part east of the Nestos River, S FYROM, SW Bulgaria and S Albania) deserves subspecies status at best.
* Bufotes balearicus has only been substantiated as a mtDNA lineage. No evidence exists to supported restricted gene flow or (any level of) nuclear DNA differentiation. Furthermore, if you are in favour of accepting balearicus at species level, you'd have to do the same for variabilis. And siculus (but I'm going to explain why we except boulengeri and not siculus - see multiple threads on this forum).
* The Berber toad is one of many alien species with small and/or temporary populations. If you can even tell me where they persist in Europe today, you would be the first. :P

No offence, but it's a bit surprising that anyone would roam this forum and think that we'd do a half ass job on the taxonomy. ;) :twisted: :oops:

BUT, I asked for comments and I welcome your effort!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Clive Brignull » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:47 pm

Explained,Thanks :oops:
Clive Brignull

Hometown: Braintree

Postby Noah Meier » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:48 pm

For everybody who's still waiting for his copy (as I do):
You find some pictures as preview on the website of nhbs.com, just click on the picture of the cover.

http://www.nhbs.com/title/201426/field- ... and-europe

Greets,
Noah
Noah Meier

Hometown: Boebikon

Postby Alexandre Roux » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:40 am

I tried keeping me away from your comments because Amazon says my copy will be there on the 12th of August. That's pretty hard to wait for it now :lol:
Alexandre Roux
Flickr Gallery
Alexandre Roux

Hometown: Beynost

Postby Mario Schweiger » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:23 pm

got my copy today and I only can repeat, others have written before!
You all have done are very very good job, the drawings/paintings by Ilian are great and one of the best', I've seen in my life :)

Although I did a quick running though, I've learned something very important, havn't known before :lol:
jeroen.jpg
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:33 pm

Grmbl...!!!

I suppose I should say thanks for spotting this :cry: :oops: ;)
That's what you get when somebody throws in English names at genera at a late stage...

I'm starting to become afraid that my request will become an embarassment ;)
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Mario Schweiger » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:39 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Grmbl...!!!

I suppose I should say thanks for spotting this :cry: :oops: ;)
That's what you get when somebody throws in English names at genera at a late stage...

I'm starting to become afraid that my request will become an embarassment ;)

You all should be very happy, if this (and maybe a very few more) are the only "errors" ;)
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

PreviousNext

Return to Reading Room