Wildlife Illustrations

Here you may post links to other sites, related to field herpetology

Re: Wildlife Illustrations

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:11 am

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:sorry for offtopic but im curious what is your field of study.
do i remember correctly that you are a physicist? what subfield are you into?

A difficult question. For a quarter of a century I had been a solid-state physicist. Actually,
a many-body theoretician doing theoretical solid-state physics. For the last ten years I've
been a theorist in atomic and molecular physics.

Guillaume Gomard wrote:I think it depends on what you want to do with the paper, many journals are OK if you
distribute the paper without selling it.

What you want in the first place is to PUBLISH the paper, and (at least in my field of science) this
ROUTINELY implies transferring the copyright to the journal. After that, I can privately distribute
it to whoever might be interested, but I certainly can not and do not SELL it. The problem is that
I am not allowed to "reuse" it for further publications - up to a point, of course (see below.)

Also for the figures, I guess it's fine to reuse them provided that you slightly change the
font size, the color or style of your curves, etc.

Well, more or less, depending on the criteria of particular journals, and what they understand
as “slightly” vs. “substantially”. It’s not so rigorous, after all, and not difficult to guess what's
acceptable and what isn't. Decent people respect that, even without any official "percentages".
Some others don't.
What maybe isn't fair, but is ultimately human, the "decent guys" never get praised for respecting
the stated rules, but the "bad guys" also very, very seldom get punished for breaking them. (Quite
unlike the official, very strict rules regarding fieldherping in some countries... but that would bring
us back to a different topic, where everything has already been said.)
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:51 am

Cool Berislav, do you study interatomic forces or what?
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:17 pm

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:Cool Berislav, do you study interatomic forces or what?

I'm studying the observable consequences/effects of the interatomic forces, that is, the molecular spectra
of diatomic molecules.
But that's really totally off-topic here, so go to the "Web of Knowledge" or something like that and see for
yourself.
Or just send me your e-mail address (via PM, or anyhow), and I'll send you some of my best papers, so you
could at least get a "flavour" of that job. (Either a "PM" or an "e-mail message" offered here doesn't allow
attachments over 500 KB, so...) In any case, I don't keep mine secret, it's horvatic@ifs.hr.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Ilian Velikov » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:43 pm

Andre and Ronald - thanks a lot!
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:17 pm

What do you say about this - not a digital drawing, but on paper:

vammo_MD.jpg

Natrix_natrix_MD.jpg

Copyright: Marija Dolenc

Not bad at all...
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Pablo Deschepper » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:52 pm

I am such a big fan of your illustrations Ilian! True masterpieces, each and every one of them. May I ask which software you use? I am trying to "grow" into illustration too, sometimes mixed with photos. Currently I use photoshop.

Cheers,
Pablo
Pablo Deschepper

Hometown: Erps

Postby Ilian Velikov » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:42 pm

Pablo Deschepper wrote:I am such a big fan of your illustrations Ilian! True masterpieces, each and every one of them. May I ask which software you use? I am trying to "grow" into illustration too, sometimes mixed with photos. Currently I use photoshop.

Cheers,
Pablo

Thanks, Pablo! Yes, I use Photoshop as well.
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Previous

Return to Links to other sites on fieldherpetology