Southern Thailand, september 2016

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

Re: Southern Thailand, september 2016

Postby Kai Kolodziej » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:21 pm

Hello Thor, as we missed to meet at Trang, now here again: Awesome finds and great photos.

It is unbelievable that you had such a wet trip and we had a very dry trip instead and you were just 100km or so more north than we were.

I especially love the Boiga dendrophila and the Tropidolaemus wagleri.

cheers Kai
Kai Kolodziej

Hometown: Perchtoldsdorf

Postby Thor Hakonsen » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:26 pm

Kai Kolodziej wrote:Hello Thor, as we missed to meet at Trang, now here again: Awesome finds and great photos.

It is unbelievable that you had such a wet trip and we had a very dry trip instead and you were just 100km or so more north than we were.

I especially love the Boiga dendrophila and the Tropidolaemus wagleri.

cheers Kai

Yes, pretty strange !

After a trip like this, there will always be more and new pictures worth editing.

ImageTrimeresurus fucatus by Thor Hakonsen, on Flickr
Trimeresurus fucatus
Khao Luang
Thor Hakonsen

Hometown: Neskollen

Postby Lennart Schmid » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:25 pm

Wow, phantastic photography, can you tell me about what type of flashsystem you use? I really struggle with using flashes
Lennart Schmid

Hometown: Heidelberg

Postby Thor Hakonsen » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:21 pm

Paul Aiscan wrote:Wow, phantastic photography, can you tell me about what type of flashsystem you use? I really struggle with using flashes

Thanks Paul,

I use different systems - but close to 90% of the shots from this trip is shot with only natural light, which I usually prefer in the field.

When I use a flash, I always use some kind of softbox on it. In the last T.fucatus shot I used a 15x20 softbox bith the flash more or less above the snake. But if possible I will also lug around with a large Phottix Easy-Up Octa 80cm softbox, with one or two external flashes inside. (triggered wireless)
Thor Hakonsen

Postby Thor Hakonsen » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:12 am

And a picture that put a side and saved because of publication in a magazine..

Trimeresurus purureomaculatus_030916_003_web.jpg

Trimeresurus purpureomaculatus
Ranong
Thor Hakonsen

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:39 pm

I already told you in FB I think, but your photos are amazing Thor!! The quality is typical of professional photography

About herps, the only thing I miss in your trip is a hooded one ;)
NAJA.jpg
Naja sumatrana, Singapore
NAJA.jpg (131.23 KiB) Viewed 7180 times

Also I think the black morph of purpureomaculatus is nicer than the brown one
PURPU.jpg
PURPU.jpg (123.69 KiB) Viewed 7180 times

Southest Asia is probably my top 1 destiny for herpetology!!!

Cheers

PD. I think that you know, but I was there in august:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gabrimtne ... 2187938492
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Thor Hakonsen » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:41 pm

Gabriel Martínez wrote:I already told you in FB I think, but your photos are amazing Thor!! The quality is typical of professional photography

About herps, the only thing I miss in your trip is a hooded one ;)
NAJA.jpg

Also I think the black morph of purpureomaculatus is nicer than the brown one
PURPU.jpg

Southest Asia is probably my top 1 destiny for herpetology!!!

Cheers

PD. I think that you know, but I was there in august:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gabrimtne ... 2187938492

Thanks Gabriel!

Our main target for the trip was vipers, so not much time was spent on cobras - but we used one day around Cha-am, but unfornutatly with no luck. I really need som good shots of cobras also. I found a N.siamensis in december (just outside Khao Yai), but as we did not have any protection for our eyes we let it it go without good pictures.

And yes, the black T.purpureomaculatus would be a dream to photograph and for sure much more beatiful than the two grey juveniles we found. The black ones, are they restricted geographically or can they occur anywhere within the range ?

I really love South-East Asia after my two trips now, but I have also so much I havent seen in Europe.

At the moment I'm wondering if there are any places with vipers within 4-7 hours of flying from Norway worth going for a 4 day trip (indluding flying) in january.

What about Dubai and Echis ? Israel ?
Thor Hakonsen

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:49 pm

I am not totally sure, but I think black purpureomaculatus are only in Singapore and maybe south Malaysia. In Langkawi they are brown, and coast of Kuala Lumpur I remember some individuals found by Konrad Mebert dark but not completely black. But I am not sure :?

Wow, 4-7 hours flying and in January don´t seems easy. Israel is very very cool. But in northern areas (meditearranean habitats) reptiles are not active and in the Negev also probably they are "sleeping". Maybe can find any species in coastal areas or basking in desert, but I think is a waste of time and money because in april may you can find 100 times more reptiles than in january. I think Dubai has also low activity in january in comparation with march-october

Maybe Senegal is the closer place that you can visit with some hope of finding many species. Northern (Sahel) is bad in winter but probably tropical areas (Casamance, Bandafassi) are good during most part of the year and you can find green mamba (according to Trape is common, but we stayed 3 days and didn´t find it), many Naja species, Toxycodrias, Echis jogeri, etc...
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Previous

Return to Herping in the rest of the world