Peloponnese, spring 2015

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Peloponnese, spring 2015

Postby Noah Meier » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:29 am

Hi guys
As there is no activity in the field for us European herpetologists I finally got time to make a collection of our Peloponnese trip from April 2015. May this pictures help you hibernating our winter season...
I hope you enjoy it :)

We arrived in Athen at the 3th of April. Our journey started in the Agolid Peninsula. On road to the Peninsula of Methana and the island Poros we found the first C.kotschyi, A.kitaibelli, L.trilineata and plenty of Ophrys lutea.

_MG_0641.jpg
Agolid peninsula

IMG_0710.jpg
Cyrtopodion kotschyi
IMG_0849.jpg
Scolopendra cingulata (I assume)
IMG_0599.jpg
Ablepharus kitaibelli

IMG_1287.jpg
A.kitaibelli

_MG_0744.jpg
Ophrys lutea

Arriving at Methana everybody who hasn't known before smells that it must be a vulcano island. At Methana we found some "reptile hotspots", our first Chalcides occelatus and Ophiomorus punctatissimus.

_MG_0842.jpg
Methana landscape
_MG_0847.jpg
Reptile hotspot
_MG_0950.jpg
Chalcides occelatus

IMG_0672 (1).jpg
Chalcides occelatus - family
IMG_0803.jpg
Ophiomorus punctatissimus

IMG_0792.jpg
H.gemonensis
IMG_0783.jpg
H.gemonensis

IMG_0769.jpg
L.trilineata juvenile

In the evening we searched for snakes on the road and found unfortunately a L.trilineata that was hit by a car and some nice Bufotes viridis.

IMG_0838.jpg
Bufotes viridis

The next day we took the ferry to the island of Poros. We really enjoyed this island as we found two new snake species for us: Platyceps najadum and Zamenis situla. Interesting was also a hill full with big rocks and euphorbia and between the rocks we found about 5-7 marginated tortoises (Testudo marginata).

_MG_0888.jpg
Ferry to Poros
_MG_0941.jpg
Testudo marginata
_MG_0964 (1).jpg
Platyceps najadum
_MG_0991.jpg
P.najadum
_MG_1268.jpg
Zamenis situla
IMG_1174.jpg
Z.situla

_MG_1288.jpg
Habitat of P.najadum

IMG_1033.jpg
P.najadum

_MG_1148.jpg
Empusa fasciata
IMG_1146 (1).jpg
Empusa fasciata

IMG_1261.jpg
Algyroides moreoticus

_MG_1277.jpg
P.najadum

Over night we made the long drive over Sparta in the south of Peloponnese - the Mani. Starting at the west coast we stucked in the some wine areas. But we still found some T.marginata, A. kitaibelli and one of the coolest orthoptera species: Acrida ungarica (I think).

IMG_1278.jpg
Acrida ungarica (probably)

IMG_1268.jpg
Mesobuthus gibbosus

As the weather turned cloudy and it started raining for some hours we used to change to the west coast of the peloponnesian middle finger. Of course we didn't find any herps during the rain. So we started flipping stones soon as the rain stopped and found another O.punctatissimus. It took some more hours until the sun came back and the wet, cloudy landscape turned into a paradise! First we found a big Malpolon insignitus male (we called him the "king of the hill"), then another smaller female which used to stay hidden in a bush. In the same habitat we found at this day: T.marginata, H.turcicus, C.kotchyi, X.vermicularis, P.apodus, L.trilineata, H. graeca P.peloponnesiascus, as wells as the biggest scorpion I've ever seen in nature - Iurus dufoueirus (thick like my thumb).

_MG_1735.jpg
Habitat of M.insignitus, T.marginata, H.turcicus, P.apodus, X.vermicularis, P. peloponnesiascus, L.trilineata, H.graeca and O.punctatissimus and C.kotschyi
_MG_1602.jpg
Malpolon insignitus
_MG_1691.jpg
M.insignitus
_MG_1808.jpg
M.insignitus
_MG_1978.jpg
Lacerta trilineata
IMG_1727.jpg
L.trilineata
IMG_1757.jpg
P.peloponnesiascus
IMG_1656.jpg
Pseudopus apodus
IMG_1477.jpg
X.vermicularis

_MG_1882.jpg
Hellenolacerta graeca

_MG_1521.jpg
Iurus dufoureius

_MG_1827.jpg
T.marginata

A few kilometers further we stopped at a pond looking for natrix species, unfortunately without success. Instead we found many Hellenolacerta greaca, Podarcis peloponnesiascus and a tiny Saga hellenica. Along of some (for herpetologists) attracting stone walls we suddenly found a juvenile Vipera ammodytes meridionalis, about 10 more specimens followed.

_MG_2112.jpg
Podarcis peloponnesiascus

_MG_2171.jpg
Saga hellenica
_MG_2225.jpg
Vipera ammodytes meridionalis
_MG_2241.jpg
V.ammodytes
_MG_2272.jpg
V.ammodytes
_MG_2305 (3).jpg
V.ammodytes
_MG_2384.jpg
V.ammodytes
IMG_1836.jpg
V.ammodytes
IMG_1862.jpg
V.ammodytes

IMG_1884 (1).jpg
Probably reason for many snake bites...

Right at the parking place of a restaurant in the surroundings we disturbed a Upupa epops hunting insects. We made it only for this one picture through the front glass ... On our way back in the northern direction me made a stop close to Kalamata and found some H.gemonensis and plenty of Anguis cephallonica.

IMG_1971.jpg
Upupa epops

IMG_1955.jpg
Anguis cephallonica

IMG_0647.jpg
Hierophis gemonensis

My conclusion from this few days...
Peloponnese is one of the greatest places in Europe for fieldherping and I'll definitely go back there as soon as I can. ;)
Have a nice time.
Roger and Noah
Noah Meier

Hometown: Boebikon

Re: Peloponnese, spring 2015

Postby Mario Schweiger » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:16 am

must have been a very successful trip ;)
great serie of pictures!
Thanks for sharing
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Re: Peloponnese, spring 2015

Postby Noah Meier » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:29 pm

Mario Schweiger wrote:must have been a very successful trip ;)
great serie of pictures!
Thanks for sharing

Thanks Mario!
Indeed, it was one of the best trips we did so far :D

Noah
Noah Meier

Hometown: Boebikon

Return to Balkan peninsula