Striped Zamenis longissimus

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Striped Zamenis longissimus

Postby Lennart Schmid » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:44 pm

After I found the first Zamenis longissimus in late march this year, I decided to head back to my spot and check again yesterday. After some searching I had found quite a few including this interesting specimen. I guess it was between 100 and 120cm long and lacked the typical white freckles of Zamenis longissimus. However it had these beatiful stripes along its body, making it almost look like a Zamenis lineatus. Its eyes however had the typical yellow-brownish longissimus coloration. Have you guys ever seen such a Zamenis longissimus before? I know I havent and i have seen quite a few now, at least in germany.

Lennart Schmid

Hometown: Heidelberg

Re: Striped Zamenis longissimus

Postby Mario Schweiger » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:09 pm

nice specimen :)
I've seen nearly an equal one in coastal northern Tuscany before many years
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Ruggero M. » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:34 pm

I've seen many striped longissima in north Italy where I live.
At least 2-3 of those were so yellow and so well striped to resemble an obsoleta quadrivittata!
I've seen once a striped specimen with completely keeled dorsal scales: so keeled as we could find in a Natrix natrix...

I've also seen one (but probably two) olive green / blotched aesculapian snakes: a very rare coloration. One of these specimen, the only one I've actually manage to capture, was very similar to a green viridiflavus, and was aggressive too: but it was 100% a longissimus... :o

Sometimes it happens to find black or blackish aesculapian: and in Cres it's the normal colour of the aesculapian which live there!
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Ilian Velikov » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:36 pm

Ruggero Morimando wrote:One of these specimen, the only one I've actually manage to capture, was very similar to a green viridiflavus, and was aggressive too: but it was 100% a longissimus...

Any photos?
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Ruggero M. » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:42 pm

Sorry, for the green ones no photos...
But... in a book I own there's a picture of an aesculapian snake predated by foxes. And this is the only picture of a green-bluish blotched aesculapian I could ever find.
Of the yellow-striped specimens I've a couple of pictures, but not of those 2-3 which were so striped as quadrivittata, and, very sorry, no picture of the keeled-scaled specimen.
You must think I started watching snakes in the seventies, and at that time, smartphones and even cameras were not available for a boy like I was.
And even in more recent years, I started to have a smartphone with me only 1-2 years ago... :? :oops:

I think this is the book I meant (it's in another house at the moment...): http://www.ebay.it/itm/9788880952091-It ... 1517962608
Ruggero M.

Postby Ruggero M. » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:52 pm

escu.jpg
escu.jpg (227.98 KiB) Viewed 6039 times

An awful picture of a wonderful golden-yellow striped aesculapian male I've found many years ago (picture not in situ, taken by myself with a slide and found on the web :lol: ).

This specimen was found "en accordeon" in a warm august day of the eigthies (? if I remember well) during light rain over an asphalted road.
It's many years that on the same road you will no longer find aesculapian... :roll:
Ruggero M.

Postby Kai Kolodziej » Tue May 16, 2017 6:37 am

Hello,
I found a similar individual in Austria in 2016, and in fact also yesterday but no picture of that one.
cheers Kai
Attachments
DSC_7756_1495.jpg
Kai Kolodziej

Hometown: Perchtoldsdorf

Return to Central Europe