A&R guide Speybroeck et al. - review it!

The place for new fieldguides and discussions on books on field herpetology, description and discussion on new (sub)species, etc.

Re: A&R guide Speybroeck et al. - review it!

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:52 am

* Please add reference to these claims for each species.
* You did not answer my question.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Karim Chouchane » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:08 pm

Your type of reasoning, otherwise, leads to rejection of any ancient introduction, or what else?

I am not sure to understand your question.

Stöck M, Sicilia A, Belfiore NM, et al. Post-Messinian evolutionary relationships across the Sicilian channel: Mitochondrial and nuclear markers link a new green toad from Sicily to African relatives. BMC Evolutionary Biology. 2008;8:56. doi:10.1186/1471-2148-8-56.

Carranza, S., Arnold, E. N., & Pleguezuelos, J. M. (2006). Phylogeny, biogeography, and evolution of two Mediterranean snakes, Malpolon monspessulanus and Hemorrhois hippocrepis (Squamata, Colubridae), using mtDNA sequences. Molecular phylogenetics and evolution, 40(2), 532-546.

Carranza, S., Arnold, E. N., Wade, E., & Fahd, S. (2004). Phylogeography of the false smooth snakes, Macroprotodon (Serpentes, Colubridae): mitochondrial DNA sequences show European populations arrived recently from Northwest Africa. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 33(3), 523-532.

Recuero, E., Iraola, A., Rubio, X., Machordom, A., & García‐París, M. (2007). Mitochondrial differentiation and biogeography of Hyla meridionalis (Anura: Hylidae): an unusual phylogeographical pattern. Journal of Biogeography, 34(7), 1207-1219.
Karim Chouchane

Hometown: Grenoble

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:23 pm

My question is - what else should we do?

Your provided a ref for Bufotes, not for Discoglossus. The expected references show a degree of lower variability which matches for colonisation in geological times, not man-mediated, I believe.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:36 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:My question is - what else should we do?

Your provided a ref for Bufotes, not for Discoglossus. The expected references show a degree of lower variability etc. which matches for colonisation in geological times, not man-mediated (thus far more recent), I believe.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Karim Chouchane » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:23 pm

Except maybe considering some species as non native, questionably native or native only on the Anatolian islands I do suggest you to do anything.

I wasn't reproaching you for considering Hyla meridionalis as non native in europe and I actually support most of the taxonomic choices you have made in this book in order to be more coherent with the published phylogenies (e.g. Bombina variegata pachypus). I was just wondering why you consider the situation to be different between Hyla meridionalis and the examples I cited.

Yes I included the wrong reference sorry, here is the right one:

Stöck, M., Grifoni, G., Armor, N., Scheidt, U., Sicilia, A., & Novarini, N. (2016). On the origin of the recent herpetofauna of Sicily: Comparative phylogeography using homologous mitochondrial and nuclear genes. Zoologischer Anzeiger-A Journal of Comparative Zoology, 261, 70-81.

Considering the poor sampling of D. pictus in North Africa, the absence of differentiation between Sicily, Malta and Gonzo and the very low differentiation with the North Tunisian haplotypes. How can these populations be considered as native in the absence of any land connection.
Karim Chouchane

Hometown: Grenoble

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:28 pm

I'll look in to it as soon as I can and re-read those papers. It's a valid discussion for sure, although there's an important grey area of course. There's also a thin red line between adopting research results and jumping to conclusions. It not an easy excercise and we sure may have been slightly inconsistent at timestamp. Thanks for your thoughts!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:59 pm

Jan and I are working on the Dutch version of our book. A Spanish one is also in the making.

Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:29 pm

As Ilian rightfuly pointed out, they forgot his name on the cover. :shock: :evil:
The good news is, I asked them to change it and they will (eventhough I'm only a translator like any other in this case).
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:04 am

And apparently a translation into French is also to be expected!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:43 pm

Now only the Germans and the Italians and I can die a happy herper. :P
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Reading Room