imagine finding this...

imagine finding this...

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:27 am

Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Re: imagine finding this...

Postby Ilian Velikov » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:37 am

Oh, wow, what a beauty! :shock: I'm not usually a fan of leucistic or albino animals but this one is stunning.
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Bobby Bok » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:04 pm

Saw it on FB, such an amazing snake!
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:31 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote:Oh, wow, what a beauty! :shock: I'm not usually a fan of leucistic or albino animals but this one is stunning.

My answer has been always the same: Would you like your own child to be like that? Leucistic, or albino,
or whatever is not "normal"? Stunning?
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:02 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:My answer has been always the same

Was there a question?
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:28 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:
Berislav Horvatic wrote:My answer has been always the same

Was there a question?

Never mind, just replace "answer" with "comment" or "remark". Thank you.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Herman Bronsgeest » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:48 pm

It would be the find of a lifetime.

Nothing beats a jet black melanistic specimen, though.
Herman Bronsgeest

Hometown: Leiden

Postby Ruggero M. » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:32 am

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Ilian Velikov wrote:Oh, wow, what a beauty! :shock: I'm not usually a fan of leucistic or albino animals but this one is stunning.

My answer has been always the same: Would you like your own child to be like that? Leucistic, or albino,
or whatever is not "normal"? Stunning?

I understand what Berislav writes, and it's important for me the distinction between an unusual but "physiological" beautiful (even if beauty is related to us human observers) colouration from a pigmentation "disease" or "disorder" as albinism or leucism actually are.
I once observed a huge reddish Natrix natrix: only once in my life. Never seen something like that before or after, not even in pictures. Wonderful rare colour: not a disease...
In this our case of a leucistic Natrix natrix I can say: interesting, very rare finding... but is it really a beautiful animal in a global way? Mhh... I would not say that. And I would add that it's surely a pigmentation "disease" (recessive gene or mutation)! And diseases are always diseases...
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Ilian Velikov » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:32 am

Ruggero Morimando wrote:Natrix natrix I can say: interesting, very rare finding... but is it really a beautiful animal in a global way?

I too understand what Berislav meant but is there any point of even discussing this? What exactly is "beauty in a global way"? I don't think such thing exists. Beauty is so subjective that you can't put a definition on it. So if somebody says something is beautiful to them, it is beautiful to them, period. No need for an argument. And yes, there are numerous examples of people that find diseased individuals beautiful (e.g. obese man and women and so on).

Ruggero, by the way the concept that only humans appreciate/see beauty and that beauty is related only to us humans as you say is getting very outdated. It's just that humans appreciate one particular kind of beauty related to symmetric features and so on which obviously is related to our senses, not to mention how much this is affected by the mind of the masses and the primate's instinctive desire to do what others do (i.e. fashion). What is considered beautiful now is completely different from what was considered beautiful a few centuries ago.

So yes, that white Natrix is indeed beautiful to me, and many other people by the looks of it. And the question whether one would like their children to be like that is irrelevant. Would you like your children to have a normal non-diseased colouration of a reticulated python (which I'm sure we all find beautiful)?
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:02 pm

Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Next

Return to Italy and Malta