Some pictures from the Cres-Lošinj archipelago

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Re: Some pictures from the Cres-Lošinj archipelago

Postby Ruggero M. » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:07 pm

Natrix natrix

natrix1.jpg

natrix2.jpg

natrix3.jpg
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Ruggero M. » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:11 pm

A "gemo" inside vegetation: it was probably trying to capture a lizard, which I saw fleeing away at first.
This frequent colouration of gemonensis (uniform bright brown body with bluish and marked neck region) could be responsible for some false sightings of najadum on those islands... especially if the gemo was subtle, young and very fast!

gemonajadum.jpg
Ruggero M.

Postby Ruggero M. » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:16 pm

I think it could be enough... I have many other pictures (aesculapian, fourlined, situla, ecc.), but they are mainly not in situ, and in the pictures are often visible the faces of my herpfriends. For this reason, I prefer for the moment not to post those type of pictures! :ugeek: :lol:
Ruggero M.

Postby Ilian Velikov » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:59 pm

Some very nice in-situ snake phtots Ruggero! Always hard to get. Thanks.
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Ruggero M. » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:30 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote:Some very nice in-situ snake phtots Ruggero! Always hard to get. Thanks.

Thanks Ilian! :D

The young and very good herper Melo, who is a member of this forum too, has given to me the permission to public here two pictures of him.
I'm very experienced in finding the right habitats, and Melo is swift as a cat in finding and catching snakes.
The result is that he was very happy with this rare poker (actually a full...) of his preferred snakes: the fourlined snakes, which in southern Italy are called by laymen "pasturavacche" (= snakes who suck milk from cows' tits) :cry:
And, with more experience and my help, Melo is now able, hopefully, not to catch and disturb every "pasturavacche" he finds... :shock: :lol: ;)

melo3.jpg
Melo's first snakes in Losinj: after taking the first one, he saw other two specimens among his legs! They were, if I remember well, one male and two females.

melo2.jpg
I saw the female (on the right in the picture) crawling at some distance from me in the northern part of Cres and called Melo (I know he likes this kind of snake) who was herping nearby: after few seconds, with the female already in my hand, I heard and saw the male moving one meter away from my feet...
Ruggero M.

Postby Ruggero M. » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:19 pm

Almost forgotten... :roll:
Our last herp in Cres: photographed at night, but in "full light", thanks to my powerful Olight Marauder Flashlight...

bufo.jpg
Inside a cemetery in the center of Cres Island
Ruggero M.

Postby Massimo Trentin » Tue May 01, 2018 8:13 am

Thanks for your pictures Ruggero,always a pleasure to read you ;)
Massimo Trentin

Hometown: Torrebelvicino

Postby Massimo Trentin » Tue May 01, 2018 8:16 am

And about last picture...did you see some fatal fires :D ?
Massimo Trentin

Hometown: Torrebelvicino

Postby Ruggero M. » Tue May 01, 2018 8:20 am

Massimo Trentin wrote:And about last picture...did you see some fatal fires :D ?

:o No, only the toad... :lol: ;) A "will o' the wisp" is nowadays much rarer than a two headed albino Telescopus... :ugeek:
Ruggero M.

Postby Ruggero M. » Tue May 01, 2018 1:46 pm

An interesting story could be the following one.
I was driving with Melo in the northern part of Cres, and we drove near a place where years before (in 2014) Melo found a big black aesculapian with deformed tail.
I remembered this fact, and said to Melo: "Do you remember the aesculapian we found in this place, exacly here at this curve?"
Melo looked to that place, while I was driving away, and said: "What the hell... a black branch??! No.. maybe it's a snake!!!"
We stopped.
Exactly in the same place, at the same curve where we took and released four years before a black aesculapian, was crawling, in that precise moment, another black aesculapian, a male, of the same size of our "old" finding!
It was another specimen, I'm sure about this, with a perfect tail, but this fact is so particular and funny that the pictures of these animals are now needed! :lol:

2014tris.jpg
Year 2014

2018.jpg
Year 2018: same place, similar, but different specimen
Ruggero M.

PreviousNext

Return to Balkan peninsula