Red Rana graeca

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Red Rana graeca

Postby Ilias Strachinis » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:20 am

Just have a look at this stunning Rana graeca from Greece!
Have you seen anything like this before? :)

IMG_4663 copy.jpg
Ilias Strachinis

Hometown: Thessaloniki

Re: Red Rana graeca

Postby Bobby Bok » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Stunning froggo!
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Ilian Velikov » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:54 pm

Beautiful! Which part of Greece is it from?
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Mario Schweiger » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:39 am

I have seen an italica like this in central Calabria (San Nicola area) - some decades before
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Ilias Strachinis » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:12 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote:Beautiful! Which part of Greece is it from?

It's from OIympos mt Ilian! 1st time I see one like this. I've seen reddish ones a few times but never as red as this one! :) You can also see it in the TV show I present in this episode: http://webtv.ert.gr/ert3/agria-ellada/1 ... da-olybos/

Mario, is there a photo? I'd love to see it!
Ilias Strachinis

Postby Tomas Klacek » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:12 pm

Really nice! Sometimes, even temporaria can be very red.

Tomas Klacek

Hometown: Jicin

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:16 pm

Red Discoglossus sardus found by me :mrgreen:
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Will Atkins » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:30 am

What interests me is why the female 'brown frogs' (especially temporaria) are the bright colours - often red, sometimes yellow etc and the males are more uniform and grey (in general, there are always exceptions). I suspect it's because the males hang around the grey muddy ponds for longer (overwintering, and at breeding time) and the females are based more on land, the background colours of which are more variable. I don't know if anyone has researched this, but it's unusual to find female animals being more varied and brighter in colour than males. The photo from my pond this spring makes the point:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100121190 ... en-public/

BTW great TV programmes, Ilias! I wish I spoke Greek (apart from how to say 'sorry' and 'snake' which is always good when looking for reptiles in Greece on potentially private land ;) ) - but I can enjoy the animals at least!
Will Atkins

Hometown: london

Postby Ruggero M. » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:49 am

Will Atkins wrote:What interests me is why the female 'brown frogs' (especially temporaria) are the bright colours - often red, sometimes yellow etc and the males are more uniform and grey (in general, there are always exceptions). I suspect it's because the males hang around the grey muddy ponds for longer (overwintering, and at breeding time) and the females are based more on land, the background colours of which are more variable. I don't know if anyone has researched this, but it's unusual to find female animals being more varied and brighter in colour than males. The photo from my pond this spring makes the point:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100121190 ... en-public/

BTW great TV programmes, Ilias! I wish I spoke Greek (apart from how to say 'sorry' and 'snake' which is always good when looking for reptiles in Greece on potentially private land ;) ) - but I can enjoy the animals at least!

Maybe it's related to the mating behaviour of the species.
In many birds males are more colorful than females because the male must attract at least one female with a courtship ritual.
With frogs there are no rituals: the males jump over a female and mate. In this sense it's probably more "useful" for the species that the females should be more colorful and more readily visible to the males...
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Ilias Strachinis » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:53 pm

this is indeed a nice observation. Quite recently I was in Rhodope mts in Greece, where the southernmost edge of R.temporaria's range lies, and I finally saw its breeding colors in this area. I was surprised by the colors of the females! Take a look (male: blueish, female: a rainbow! :D )
Female's belly had very intense colors too!
(sorry about the bad quality of female's photo, its a photo of my camera's screen with my cellphone)

IMG_5448.jpg

30232061_1653972554717386_2037634747_o.jpg
Ilias Strachinis

Return to Balkan peninsula