identification tree frogs of Costa rica

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

identification tree frogs of Costa rica

Postby lakiere pieter » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:09 pm

Does anyone know the name from these species of treefrogs? I found them in Costa Rica years ago. I can not find them in my fieldguide "amphibians and reptiles of Costa Rica". 191 species of amphibians are listed in the guide.
Attachments
DSC01247.jpg
DSC01391.jpg
DSC01394.jpg
DSC01390.jpg
lakiere pieter

Hometown: bellegem

Re: identification tree frogs of Costa rica

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:20 am

Have you tried comparing with photos of species at amphibiaweb?
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Ruggero M. » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:54 am

I've no idea about the species: I've a big beautiful book about Costa Rica, but no time at the moment.
But I have an hint: I think the latter one could be an albino specimen of an otherwise more usual species... don't you think about this possibility?
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby lakiere pieter » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:08 pm

Ruggero Morimando wrote:I've no idea about the species: I've a big beautiful book about Costa Rica, but no time at the moment.
But I have an hint: I think the latter one could be an albino specimen of an otherwise more usual species... don't you think about this possibility?

I tried amphibiaweb also. The only thing I can conclude is that it's indeed an albino or hypomelanistic specimen maybe. My book describes all 191 species exist in Costa Rica. None of those resembles to the one I found. Not even close to.
lakiere pieter

Postby David Broek » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:00 pm

The first picture is Pristimantis ridens.
The other pictures are Hypsiboas rufitelus. The reason the frog is relatively white is not albinism but simply because they have this coloration only during daytime. At night they get more greenish and more stunning in general. This shows perfectly the problem with the book you are referring to (and many other fieldguides), species are too variable to capture in one image. For identifying amphibians in my opinion 'Amphibians of Costa Rica' by Twan Leenders is way more usefull with better images and diagnostic characteristics described.
David Broek

Hometown: Bergen op Zoom

Postby lakiere pieter » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:47 am

David Broek wrote:The first picture is Pristimantis ridens.
The other pictures are Hypsiboas rufitelus. The reason the frog is relatively white is not albinism but simply because they have this coloration only during daytime. At night they get more greenish and more stunning in general. This shows perfectly the problem with the book you are referring to (and many other fieldguides), species are too variable to capture in one image. For identifying amphibians in my opinion 'Amphibians of Costa Rica' by Twan Leenders is way more usefull with better images and diagnostic characteristics described.

Thank you for the reply. Mystery solved.
lakiere pieter

Postby Robin Duborget » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:57 am

You also have the digital guide of Brian Kubicki for the frogs.

Robin
Robin Duborget

Hometown: Corte - Corsica

Return to Herping in the rest of the world