Morocco April or October?

Morocco, Algeria, Tunesia, Libya, Egypt, Sinai

Morocco April or October?

Postby David Broek » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:40 am

Hi all,

For next year I have some plans to visit Morocco, mainly the southern part. We will focus on species like Uromastyx, Varanus griseus, Cerastes, Naja and Bitis. I know for the bigger species the early season is not that good but we have also some restrictions from work (field season). Keeping that in mind, we do have two different options: April/ first weeks of May or last weeks of September/October. I am not really sure what would be the best choice. I read a lot of trip reports already and species are found in both seasons but I prefer the season with the best chances ofcourse, I am also a bit afraid because of the 'horror stories' of cold, windy nights without any herps in spring. I understand weather is quite unpredictable, but in general, what would be the best option?

Thanks in advance!
David Broek

Hometown: Bergen op Zoom

Re: Morocco April or October?

Postby Matthieu Berroneau » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:17 pm

Hello.
IMO, october is better. In April you have beautiful landscape with better colors, but it can be harder to find species, because lot of water in tanks, etc...
Matthieu Berroneau

Hometown: Bordeaux

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:24 pm

Matthieu Berroneau wrote:Hello.
IMO, october is better. In April you have beautiful landscape with better colors, but it can be harder to find species, because lot of water in tanks, etc...

I say: listen to this guy.
https://www.hylawerkgroep.be/jeroen/index.php?id=90
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby David Broek » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:03 pm

Thanks for your advice! Most important for us is to see a lot of different species, so visiting Morocco in Sept/Oct seems to be the best option for us.
David Broek

Hometown: Bergen op Zoom

Return to North Africa